Are DPV noisy ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some are louder than others, but on CCR we'll hear them over 300' away.

All I've experienced have been noisy.

Unexpectedly, the most annoying system I've been around was actually the P3M JetBoots system. Strangely, it does not come across nearly as loud as some of the big grinding noise DPVs, but it did this strange high pitched noise that can actually cause a weird piercing feeling in the ears, like what you might hear if a dentist is drilling into your tooth with an ultrasonic jackhammer. Those JetBoots actually caused me some transient shots of ear pain when the operator would add full power.

I should add that this was in a pool, and maybe that made the noise worse than normal. I haven't been around JetBoots in OW.

I must be deaf as I would say they are not noisy. However, this refers to Apollo scooters. Even when using them (my wife and I have 2), the noise is hardly intrusive. If you are not the person using, you can only hear them when close.

It's all relative.

Any I've seen /had/ operated make a definite 'whirring' sound when running. It's nice to hear if your buddies are close or have lost you completely ;-)

Diving a rebreather I'd consider them all to be quite noisy. Diving open circuit I'm making plenty of noise myself, so they seem less noisy.

Sounds like an interesting project.

I wouldn't say that the direct drive scooters like the Teknas and clones are loud. You can definitely hear them. I used to have a Farallon that used a gear reduction system and that one was Loud. They had straight cut gears.

My Genesis makes sounds, but it's not objectionable. I've gotten compliments on its low noise level from "kick divers." However, if I crank it up to maximum thrust, it certainly does let everyone nearby know that I'm cranking.

@lucca brassi , will you be posting your efforts on the DIY forum?

@underwater

in that moment i have made some calculations on material , BL motor , driver , gear......some turning and milling work.....
it is not problem to made ...but... cost are high
these cost are high because i buy as single person , have no prefabricated materials , have to pay post costs and also taxes
for single part .
At the moment i think it is worth if i get some ''old '' GAVIN maybe that not work or batteries are old and put inside some new stuff . That would be most economical way.
Other way is to take 100km trip to Trieste to suex :) and simply dive....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom