Alleged illegal tanks sold by Add Helium-Heads up to any that may have purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he will be water boarded till he admints guilt to all crimes....:stirpot:

I don't know any of the parties nor do I have any of their products. However I will say lawsuits like this are like throwing a huge bowl of spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks. There are a lot of allegations in there, mostly business disputes.

Was the defendant ever arrested or charged with any crimes by HLS or the FBI?
I am sure more info will come.
:popcorn:
This is a civil suit in Broward County, FL by a minority member of the "corp" to the majority member alleging wrongdoing of the 80% member. There is no criminal action here, at all. That would be a totally separate proceeding, and would go in Fed. Court, not a state court proceeding. It just sounds to me like a load of woe-is-me, the business didn't do as we hoped, so I'll sue to see if I can get anything back. I my humble opinion, unless an action is filed for a DOT violation or a crim action for sales of the "military" CCRs or dpv(s), this should not be litigated in the public forums. It's a typical civil case involving 2 experienced businessmen which went south. No biggie. However, if it is proven a DOT violation or HLS case did occur, then that would be different.

Well, to prove the case they will have to provide evidence backing their claim and I doubt an attorney would make such bold claims without any supporting evidence, so as the case proceeds we should see some exhibits become available.
Attorneys need evidence to make a claim?? No way! :)

Attorneys need evidence to make a claim?? No way! :)

Lol, yes I know... What do you call 5,000 attorneys at the bottom of the ocean? :D I'm with you, unless of course I'm suing someone.

But in reality a plaintiff needs to be aware that once they pull the trigger, they open themselves up for a counter suit, especially making serious false accusations like selling illegal tanks to the public and rebreathers to a militant in Libya.

So, is it frivolous or true? These days we've been programmed to question the merit of any lawsuit. We shall see. If I had to bet, I'd take the latter. I don't know any of the parties involved so... :popcorn:

Lol, yes I know... What do you call 5,000 attorneys at the bottom of the ocean? :D I'm with you, unless of course I'm suing someone. But in reality a plaintiff needs to be aware that once they pull the trigger, they open themselves up for a counter suit, especially making serious false accusations like selling illegal tanks to the public and rebreathers to a militant in Libya. So, is it frivolous or true? These days we've been programmed to question the merit of any lawsuit. We shall see. If I had to bet, I'd take the latter. I don't know any of the parties involved so...
In Fl, we have a statute, Fl. Stat. 57.105, which protects against patently false claims. Yet, none of what the guy seeks is related to the "damages" of the sale of CCRs or DOT markings; its about dissipation of assets that majority member A is doing. However, since he is the majority partner, he can spend the money (if it can be reasonably shown that it is related to the biz) as required. The DOT/"Military gear" is a non-starter, any scuba gear could be used in a military context, it just adds color to the suit, and is not required for this type of claim. Personally, I'd love to defend the action and show how the plaintiff did this just to create bad will against the defendant in the Court of Public Opinion. IMHO Only the attorneys will get rich in this case :)

Wow... those are amazing accusations. Time should tell if any of them are true.
Puh-leaze. As if you had no idea ahead of time that Richardson was going to post this.

Hypothetically, if I was a silent partner in a company where the majority partner was misusing my money (according to me) and then went and did some illegal stuff as well, i would be in court trying to distance myself from him and also try to get in front of the financial storm incoming.

Knowing that a criminal case is incoming, along with (probably) forfeiture of assets (proceeds of dodgy sales etc) I would try to get the money frozen as fast as possible to make sure the other guy didn't funnel "my" money out while the criminal system was gearing up.

IF the plaintiff believes his deposition to be true, I don't see any issue with what he is doing.

The question of whether those statements are FACTUAL or not is for others to decide.

As far as the OP, it seems his intentions were purely to warn tank owners of a potential issue, a dodgy tank won't wait for the courts. The rest of the speculation ensuing regarding Libya etc etc seem to be off-topic as per the thread title, as well as not being scuba related.

In Fl, we have a statute, Fl. Stat. 57.105, which protects against patently false claims. Yet, none of what the guy seeks is related to the "damages" of the sale of CCRs or DOT markings; its about dissipation of assets that majority member A is doing. However, since he is the majority partner, he can spend the money (if it can be reasonably shown that it is related to the biz) as required. The DOT/"Military gear" is a non-starter, any scuba gear could be used in a military context, it just adds color to the suit, and is not required for this type of claim. Personally, I'd love to defend the action and show how the plaintiff did this just to create bad will against the defendant in the Court of Public Opinion. IMHO Only the attorneys will get rich in this case :)

If you read the complaint, that is the primary allegation where it's alleged the defendant is exposing the plaintiff to liability and is the cause of action. Are we reading the same complaint?

You wouldn't want to defend it if the allegations are true and there is evidence to support it... Unless of course you're an attorney. lol

If you have purchased a tank from Add Helium I would strongly advise you look into if your tank is DOT legal or not.

That excludes me as I only own Fabers and Luxfers, but out of curiosity, how does one check that? Specifically, how does one discern a legit stamp from a fake on a brushed aluminum cylinder?

Puh-leaze. As if you had no idea ahead of time that Richardson was going to post this.
he didn't, i called him before actually to mention and we ended up doing phone tag, I didn't leave a message.. I posted this anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom