Anyone been to Christmas Island recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I havent been since 2008, however was chatting with another diver, on a diveboat, who went last November and his experiences sounded very similar to mine.
The CI red cab migration to spawn occurs some time in late november/early december, depending on rain and moon.
We dived with Hamas and I would recommend him. All diving is by boat except if you want to do ashore dive in the harbour. The island is mostly surrounded by limestone cliffs
The top of the reef is just of shore. Lots of massive plate corals. Of the edge of the reef it gets deep with blue water.
Its very different to RA, although I've only dived it via a livaboard (IMHO is the only way to dive RA). RA had a lot more variety but exculding the Mantas at Manta Sandy, I saw a lot more big animals at CI. Not every day but over 7days saw dolphins, sharks (but no whale sharks) and asail fish.
If you do go to CI hire a car for at least part of the stay so you can have a look around the island. Its best to book a car in adavance

If you a going to go to CI you should definitely also go to Cosos Keeling. Unlike CI, Cocos consists a number of Islands around a lagoon. Only two islands are inhabited, all are covered in cocconut trees with white sandy beaches.
Dieter and Karen are great. You usually spend your surface interval under the cocconut trees on a deserted island. I spent two weeks there and could have easily spent another two. The diving has a good variety with a resident Manta and Dolphin population. We had dolphins riding the boat wake almost every day. Also saw a variety of sharks including reef sharks and bronze whalers.You don't need a car. If you stay at Cocos castaway, the dive shop, community cetre/bar/cyclone centre, shop are all within a 5 minute slow walk. The golf course is interesting. Its on the cleared land around the airstrip, so its closed on the days planes are due.

Neither of these are dive resort type places. There is only one bar on each. Acommodation is limited and not 5 star. But I will definitely go back to both of them

Would love to do both but the flight schedule isn't really helping. The travel agent has mentioned that Jakarta - CI - Jakarta is only Saturdays and Cocos - CI ETA is at 12:40 only 1:20h before the long distance takeoff. If I would miss that I'm there for another week..... Although I have some vacation I wouldn't want to use it all just for one trip...:wink:

Although it might be I haven't come across any decent flight connection from Europe.

Virgin Australia Flight Schedule

Perth - Cocos Keeling Islands
Day Flight No Depart Arrive Stops
Tuesday

VA1909

13:00

17:50

1- Christmas Island
Saturday VA1913 06:45 09:50 0 - Direct

Cocos Keeling Islands - Perth
Tuesday VA1916 18:25 24:35 0 - Direct
Saturday VA1917 10:35 18:00 1 - Christmas Island

Cocos Keeling Islands - Christmas Island
Saturday

VA1917 10:35 12:40 0 - Direct

Christmas Island - Cocos Keeling Islands
Tuesday VA1918 16:45

Both are open for business. There are multiple operators still on christmas island -- the water is spectacular , you can also snorkel safely off any part of the island so it's easy to do your own thing.

Cocos - if staying on West Island can find an operator or Home island but you need your own gear.

Both are open for business. There are multiple operators still on christmas island -- the water is spectacular , you can also snorkel safely off any part of the island so it's easy to do your own thing.

Cocos - if staying on West Island can find an operator or Home island but you need your own gear.
Both the threads you have responded to are about 6 years old!

Both the threads you have responded to are about 6 years old!
Hi Michael - doesn't seem anything newer on several of my fave places, didn't really feel entitled to start something new but but let people know these places are still fab.

Hi I was there two weeks ago for a week. I only did one days diving with Extra Divers and they were great.
I only did the one day as I think it would be pretty much the same everywhere as it is basically just a drop off around the whole island. I know people that have done more diving there and they agree this is the case.
It is nice with warm water and awesome visibility. There is one dive where alot of giant trevally hang out and it is great to see them but besides this I saw only small reef fish and that included a lot of snorkelling around the island. As for whale sharks they are there some of the year but yo have to be lucky to have one show up on a dive. To see one you would be much better off going to Exmouth in western australia and go with one of the tour boats where youare just about guarenteed to snorkel with one.
I had a good time there but as a diving destination it does not compare with RA or northern Fiji above or below the water.

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom