Alleged illegal tanks sold by Add Helium-Heads up to any that may have purchased

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diving Zone with a similar web layout is the Arabian Shopping Zone.

For Women - Islamic Clothes - Arabian Shopping Zone

A quick look at there products show a fine range of Hijab, and a very fetching Arabian decency Abaya and some rather smart women's swimming attire you may both like. Maybe you could do a deal and buy both a tank and a Hijab and save on postage? Just a suggestion.

9. In the mean time a Google maps search of the address: Granåsvägen 204,
468 33 Vargön, Sweden shows a very fetching blue two bedroom apartment.
Granåsvägen 204, 468 33 Vargön, Sweden

http://goo.gl/maps/8WqH2

10. Now I confess that I don't know much about Islamic dress Hijabs and the like but I now know you can buy both from the same address so can we say with confidence that these cylinders come built to the highest specification and standard.

Now while you wait for this Tony would you prefer me to continue? Iain
For reference:

For Women - Islamic Clothes - Arabian Shopping Zone

http://www.eurodivingzone.com/scuba_carbon_fiber_bare_cylinder-details.aspx
What's weird about that? People that run web shops often have more than one shop and many people run them from home.

Both shops are pretty average looking, IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised if he has even more shops... for all we know he might also be selling chicken coops, voodoo dolls, bamboo chairs and penis pumps. I'm not even kidding.

I think you're reading too much into that.

Did you follow the link and read the complaint?

Yes. A mere two lines in there about DOT compliance, somewhat vague. The rest talks about the purported selling of a CCR to a Libyan "militant" and various misappropriations of company money. Amusing, maybe, but not relevant.

If this thread is meant to bash a company that some people don't like, then so be it, but don't disguise it as a public service announcement.

I should note that I'm not in any way defending that company. I get the impression that the majority principal plays fast and loose.

what is your objection to ultrasonic examination? it is DOT approved and commonly used for semiconductor grade gas cylinders

Cost. A quality scan can cost more than the value of the cylinder.

Jim, given that Sotis lives in South Florida, this should be either a Travis McGee or Doc Ford book. If you haven't read any of the Doc Ford books, I highly suggest them!

Come on Ken, you know it should really be Carl Hiaasen novel!

Are there any DOT approved carbon fiber cylinders on the market for scuba (I know plenty for SCBA)? While maybe not so prudent to sell online to whoever, did anyone actually buy these unsuspecting and suffer an accident in result? DOT has no say over what is sold, only want can be filled and transported with pressure. Many divers want these tanks to personally fill, and that's their own prerogative, as long as Add Helium made it clear that they were not DOT approved.

And was there anything substantiating the claim that the Libyan customer was anything but a recreational CCR diver?

I don't know plaintiff or defendant or have anything in this, but to me this seems like a business dispute engineered to spark discord on the forums...

Are there any DOT approved carbon fiber cylinders on the market for scuba (I know plenty for SCBA)?

Yes, SCI do a 2L carbon wrapped dive rated cylinder https://worthingtonindustries.com/g...posite-product-use-and-care-uk_guidelines.pdf

Whilst the SCI cylinders are very good quality - meeting CE and DOT - they are not cheap.... Open Safety Equipment Ltd

Bit of history specifically related to the source of the cylinders in question and the OP's concerns CE stamping Carbon Fiber Tanks in Europe

what is your objection to ultrasonic examination? it is DOT approved and commonly used for semiconductor grade gas cylinders

Absolutely, and in these cases ultrasonic inspection (UFD) replaces hydro static testing as it is a much more superior test, finding smaller defects. The DOT waive teh requirement for internal visual inspection in these cases because of the superiority of the UFD method.

But inspection a cylinder with a thin wall thickness and having multiple layers (thus interfaces) is a whole different ball game. Given the small volume of the manufacture I very much doubt if the manufacturer has invested in the resources to carry out these test when they could use hydrostatic means

Luxfer has a fascinating document detailing the manufacture and test of new carbon cylinders. No mention of UFD

What's weird about that? People that run web shops often have more than one shop and many people run them from home.

Both shops are pretty average looking, IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised if he has even more shops... for all we know he might also be selling chicken coops, voodoo dolls, bamboo chairs
I think you're reading too much into that.

With respect it is you, not reading detail enough
Here is the original reference reply from Add Helium to my original questions (spelling mistakes included)
I have underlined the areas of concern.

Add helium reply
Hello,

A. Lots of I've gear is manufactured in China. Chinese manufacture doesn't make something a bad product,

B. provided it is done so to the specifications of the purchaser,

C. with a good QA program.

D. In the case of these tanks, we do not import them from China directly.

E. We purchase them from a European distributor who has them made to their specifications

F. for use in diving applications and for use with 100% o2,

G. and does their own QA.

These clowns dont have either the facility or qualification
Specification of the purchaser? (the head dress shop I guess)
Good QA?
Made to their specification? (good enough I guess)
Does there own QA? (ROFL)

This is from the USA importer and supplier Add Helium his own words about a pressure vessel
he is importing from 2014, Im asking what the standard it is made to and your asking whats weird about it.
Go figure. Iain

Brad.
Not wishing to confuse the original OP post of the China cylinders sold to the chap in two bed hajab house from which Add Helium imports with the reassuring "good QA program" and of "own specification".

But the document you referenced of the perfectly acceptable DOT CE approved American SCI cylinders.
makes no claim to that SCI 2L cylinder of being "Dive Rated" Iain

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Having no memory of this thread I went to check it and was surprised to see that I was the mod who deleted the posts. (It must indicate an age-related deterioration of my mind.) My primary purpose in posting this response is to tell you that for someone with staff privileges, all the deleted posts are still there. Cerich can see all of them.

I also went to the original moderator thread and saw that I did the work in response to several reports about abusive posts. The posts being repeated here had triggered a very heated exchange with a lot of ToS-violating personal attacks. The posts that are being repeated here were tossed along with all the rest because they were fully entwined with the personal attacks and were off topic for the original thread.

I made a moderator announcement to that effect at the end of the thread when I reopened it for the purpose of getting back to the original topic. There were no posts after that announcement.

Since these posts are now being made in a thread on that specific topic, they are now on topic and open for discussion. I want to caution everyone against renewing the heated personal attacks that led to moderating the original thread.

EDIT: I received a PM that suggests I need to make a clarification for the comment above that Cerich can see the deleted posts. That comment was in reference to the quoted statement that the poster would have a hard time recovering the deleted posts so that Cerich could see them. I merely meant that doing so was unnecessary, since Cerich could see them now that he knew they existed.

John.
With respect all you removed were the critcal safety comments regarding the cylinders in question and the entire respose from the OP Add Helium to those specific safety related questions made to him.
I also have acess to the entire unedited posts and see no ToS violations then as now.
Therefore for clarity would you kindly put back those original posts from Add Helium and myself
relating to the valid safety concerns of these cylinders. If for no other reason than to save me having to stick and paste this drawn out train wreck further for reference. Thanks Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom