Simple DIN question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it is, and, as said above somewhere, a valve is also soft brass..... Why stress the threads? These are on my tanks for travel. Normal plugs for storage.

If we are concerned about protecting the threads and not so much about losing air pressure (which I haven't had happen yet in 4 years with diving yokes) then why not just get a reasonable priced plug and drill a small hole in it to relieve the pressure or as someone mentioned just reinstall the yoke inserts?

the air loss is not typically a concern without high helium in the gas mixes so you don't see these plugs used that often at least in the crowds that I run in. I only see them on the heavy helium mixes when we have them.

If we are concerned about protecting the threads
I'm actually a little surprised that protecting the threads is so much of an issue. Over here in DIN country, no-one uses yoke, and hardly anyone - including LDSs who rent out tanks - bothers with a plug.

Thats where I'm confused as well..... I dive the springs quite a bit and I've never seen or heard of one til now.

I only use the plugs with my high helium tanks, especially my doubles that I use for rebreather diluent banks.

Sorry, but I even use them on my nitrox mixes. A two, four, or six hour drive to an area without compressors available spells disaster when a valve opens in the bed of the truck. Watched a guy sit topside while we dove..... Nearest fill station was 2 hours away (and didn't do Nitrox)..... That sucks.....

ouch.....

it's happened to me before as well. One of my bailout bottles emptied out before a dive and it was a few years out of hydro, whoops!

I'm actually a little surprised that protecting the threads is so much of an issue. Over here in DIN country, no-one uses yoke, and hardly anyone - including LDSs who rent out tanks - bothers with a plug.
It happens. I've bent 3 din valves myself and seen a good handful of others get bent.

Plugs are worthwhile IMO. My current policy is all tanks are transported with a reg or a plug in place except oxygen. Saves gas and saves valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom