Any tips for removing a stuck Hollis Reg Cover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ultrasound Scubapro plastic pieces all the time, but Hollis does not recommend using ultrasonic cleaners on the plastic parts on of their regulators.
Curious. Do they give a reason?

Well hot tap water did not work. I threw some vinegar in there. I'll let it soak for a few hours and see what happens.

The idea of boiling my second isn't very inviting. So I'll probably just let the dog sleep for now if the vinegar soak doesn't work. But it's becoming more of a challenge than anything and of course I'd like to inspect it. Damn inanimate objects. I haven't resorted to cuss word yet though... Sometimes that works.

Well hot tap water did not work. I threw some vinegar in there. I'll let it soak for a few hours and see what happens.

The idea of boiling my second isn't very inviting. So I'll probably just let the dog sleep for now if the vinegar soak doesn't work. But it's becoming more of a challenge than anything and of course I'd like to inspect it. Damn inanimate objects. I haven't resorted to cuss word yet though... Sometimes that works.
I own 6 Hollis DC1/212 regs and am having the same issue with 4 of them. Let me know what solution you come up with. Extremely frustrating.

I own 6 Hollis DC1/212 regs and am having the same issue with 4 of them. Let me know what solution you come up with. Extremely frustrating.
The ones that I can unscrew I now open and rinse after every dive and put christo lube in the threads after rinsing.

Try a few days instead of a few hours. I'd start with hotter water and just let it cool. Vinegar might help a little. And those rubber grippy things for removing jar lids can be helpful.

have you tried using a vise already? vise the cover, tap the hose fitting with a rubber mallet

My wife has one and she too has problems unscrewing the cap. We always soak our equipment in a hot bath tub and the regulators in a hot sink. This was the best tip I have ever received. My recommendation would be to ask someone with strong hands to do it for you. That's why my wife keeps me around to help pay the bills, build stuff for her, carry her equipment and open anything that is stuck.

Try some rubber gloves to get a better grip on the cover.
(Latex, dishwashing, drysuit gloves)

I used to own 212 and had the same issue even just after a few dives. For those who recommend vise, it won't work because the ring is plastic, quite thin and rounded on the edge. Vise is not likely to grip.

I eventually open the the cover after many different tries, including hot water, freezer, ultra sonic, vinegar soak ... I am not sure which one worked or it was just the combination of all things I tried.

I used to own 212 and had the same issue even just after a few dives. For those who recommend vise, it won't work because the ring is plastic, quite thin and rounded on the edge. Vise is not likely to grip.

I eventually open the the cover after many different tries, including hot water, freezer, ultra sonic, vinegar soak ... I am not sure which one worked or it was just the combination of all things I tried.

Yeah the beveled edge doesn't provide any sort of grip. It would break before you'd ever get it off. I haven't made an huge effort in trying to remove it since the regs breath fine, but I'd like to get ahead of any potential problem in the future and also prevent it from happening again.

I'll likely do something in the coming days and report back as our waters will be warming up soon.

Back
Top Bottom