BP/W: d-rings and how to avoid becoming a Christmas tree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering getting a bp/w, specifically a halcyon infinity (there's a very tempting deal available to me right now) and am now contemplating accessory storage options. I don't have a ton of extra stuff to attach/stow on my rig, but with my current bc (Zeagle Stiletto) I've got a couple of small pockets to hide my stuff in and 5 d-rings that all get used when I'm travelling. I'm trying to figure out how best to translate my current setup to the bp/w. Looking for suggestions and thinking out loud here...

Currently i have a compass living in my left pocket and a small flashlight (sometimes) living in the right. SPG clipped to left hip d-ring (obviously this won't change), and back-up computer buckled onto left shoulder d-ring. My octo is attached to a d-ring just above and to the right of the cummerbund... I'm thinking adding a d-ring towards the front of right hip for that. The smb and spool on my right hip d-ring will move to the butt d-ring. On dive trips, my camera is clipped via a lanyard to either the right shoulder d-ring or shares the octo d-ring, depending on my mood.

Short of adding a storage pocket or thigh pocket, what do I do with the compass (in a bungee mount) and the light without cluttering up the d-rings?

I'm considering getting a bp/w, specifically a halcyon infinity (there's a very tempting deal available to me right now) and am now contemplating accessory storage options. I don't have a ton of extra stuff to attach/stow on my rig, but with my current bc (Zeagle Stiletto) I've got a couple of small pockets to hide my stuff in and 5 d-rings that all get used when I'm travelling. I'm trying to figure out how best to translate my current setup to the bp/w. Looking for suggestions and thinking out loud here...

Currently i have a compass living in my left pocket and a small flashlight (sometimes) living in the right. SPG clipped to left hip d-ring (obviously this won't change), and back-up computer buckled onto left shoulder d-ring. My octo is attached to a d-ring just above and to the right of the cummerbund... I'm thinking adding a d-ring towards the front of right hip for that. The smb and spool on my right hip d-ring will move to the butt d-ring. On dive trips, my camera is clipped via a lanyard to either the right shoulder d-ring or shares the octo d-ring, depending on my mood.

Short of adding a storage pocket or thigh pocket, what do I do with the compass (in a bungee mount) and the light without cluttering up the d-rings?
You need to add a pocket. I use this Dive Rite DC Thigh Pocket XT, Velcro Closure with dive shears added on the side. Stow my DSMB and reel, wetnotes, spare light. From your list, I would stow the backup computer as well. Compass is on my wrist. Main light on a dring held in place by a band. You don't need more drings.

Danglies are a bad practice for a myriad of reasons. Pockets are the answer.

You can either:

1. Glue thigh pockets on your existing exposure protection.

- How to Attach a Pocket to Your Wetsuit • Meraki Diving

- Add-On Thigh Pockets | Dive Gear Express®

2. Buy some pocket-shorts to wear over your existing exposure protection.

DGX Neoprene Pocket Shorts

images

These are very streamlined options and much easier to access your gear than most BCD pockets.

Add some loops of bungee inside the pockets. Tie bolt snaps to each item, or use double-ender boltsnaps. Clip each item to the bungee loop/s inside the pockets. You won't lose anything... and you can remove everything from the pocket, select what you want off the loop and return everything else.

- How to Attach a Snap | Dive Gear Express®

Backup lights can be stowed on the BPW shoulder harness. Tie a boltsnap to the torch. Clip to shoulder D-ring. Secure torch under restraining rubber loops on the harness. Rubber loops are made by cutting up an old bike inner-tube.

DSMB and spool can be stowed on the rear crotch D-ring. Easy and quick to retrieve and deploy.

OP, the Halcyon harness will have a number of rubber loops on the harness (at least they do New)

Hmmm, I may very well be over thinking this. For local diving it's simple, open drysuit thigh pockets, insert stuff, close pocket. I have no issues diving sidemount with no pockets on that rig.

Any opposition to putting your alternate on a bungee necklace?

Any opposition to putting your alternate on a bungee necklace?

Not necessarily. I've never dove single tank with a necklace, but I've never dove sidemount without a necklace... so... that could be an option.

Forgive me if others have touched on these points:

Start with a hard look at *what* you are taking with you. Things you don't need and leave at home don't need to be stowed. :)

Consider wrist mounts for your instruments, it puts them where you need them anyway.

Lift bags can easily be secured across the bottom of your back plate with $1 worth of bungee. Look here :
Consider pockets on your exposure suit and or X shorts.

Good luck

Tobin

Stop festooning.

if compass is on a bungee mount, put it on your wrist.
small flashlight should get clipped to either of the shoulder d-rings and restrained under a piece of innertube or bungee on the shoulders
spg on the left hip
backup computer should be on your wrist
octo should be around your neck
smb/spool on the butt d-ring
camera goes wherever you want

no reason that you can only have one object clipped off to a d-ring, but you aren't carrying that much stuff.

backup light looks like this for reference

e8ehema6.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom