Faber (XS Scuba) has released their Hot-Dipped Galvanized steel tank series!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it really that much better?
oh yes they are.:)
This is marketing directed at the ignorant.

Hydrogen embrittlement is easily dealt with by baking at relatively low temps for long periods. This is a well understood phenomena and avoiding it is easy.
Great response.

I got two, they were pretty when i got them and turned gray after one day in the ocean. I don't expect to have anything more to say about them for 5-15 yrs.. I hope anyway.

has anyone got one of the tanks yet? Got any feedback?

I ordered one and it is one its way. I will let you know what I think when it arrives. I wanted hot dip galvanized over painted tanks.

I got two, they were pretty when i got them and turned gray after one day in the ocean. I don't expect to have anything more to say about them for 5-15 yrs.. I hope anyway.

Do you have the painted variants in the same sizes? I'd be really interested to know what the relative buoyancy characteristics are as Faber is claiming the same between HDG and painted.

Sorry do not have identical painted tanks. These were LP 85s.

A little pricey, yes... but not so bad compared to the PST HP120s I used to own (until one failed hydro and the other failed VIP). I don't have much luck with steel tanks out here on Catalina, especially when doing LOTS of boat dives. Now I dive neutral buoyancy Al 80s and the insides look as clean as when they were created back in the 1970s.

I don't have much luck with steel tanks out here on Catalina
DrBill: How come? does salt water get into the tanks? or are the compressors faulty.?
Thanks

I got two of the 133s for Christmas. Haven't had a chance to dive with them yet but I've had them filled. My first impression is that they seem to be decent tanks, definitely better than any painted ones. That said I have two galvanized 130 Worthingtons and like the shorter boots they have and I'm still wondering how the knobs on the upgraded valve will hold up but only time will tell. Worth the extra money for sure over painted tanks.

I got mine w/o valves.. Also those rubber/plastic boots are the same design as other Faber boots. I drill a ton of holes in the bottom and lower sides to promote flushing. After a dive, I shoot water with a garden hose down the inside of the boot and I like to see the water shoot out of the new drain holes. I rotate the tank about 90 degrees and repeat 3-4 times.

Back
Top Bottom