BP/W: d-rings and how to avoid becoming a Christmas tree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses. Looks like only a small amount of rearranging will clean things up. I had totally forgotten the shoulder strap itself for an attachment point.

The Halcyon Weighted Bellow Pocket works well, big enough for an SMB/spool, in addition to a knife and wet notes/slate. It also provides a place to tuck the long hose if you're not wearing a canister light.

I'm considering getting a bp/w, specifically a halcyon infinity (there's a very tempting deal available to me right now) and am now contemplating accessory storage options. I don't have a ton of extra stuff to attach/stow on my rig, but with my current bc (Zeagle Stiletto) I've got a couple of small pockets to hide my stuff in and 5 d-rings that all get used when I'm travelling. I'm trying to figure out how best to translate my current setup to the bp/w. Looking for suggestions and thinking out loud here...

Currently i have a compass living in my left pocket and a small flashlight (sometimes) living in the right. SPG clipped to left hip d-ring (obviously this won't change), and back-up computer buckled onto left shoulder d-ring. My octo is attached to a d-ring just above and to the right of the cummerbund... I'm thinking adding a d-ring towards the front of right hip for that. The smb and spool on my right hip d-ring will move to the butt d-ring. On dive trips, my camera is clipped via a lanyard to either the right shoulder d-ring or shares the octo d-ring, depending on my mood.

Short of adding a storage pocket or thigh pocket, what do I do with the compass (in a bungee mount) and the light without cluttering up the d-rings?

I have the Halcyon Eclipse (like Infinity) and added a couple more D rings to support technical diving gear, slate, camera, etc. Yes, rig you light like tbone1004 shows with clip and secured with rubber band. If you get the Halcyon weight pockets, there will be a D ring on the left one for your SPG. You can get a pocket to attach to the bottom of the plate to hold your safety sausage or lift bag. I have 2 D rings on each side of the shoulder straps, on the left for SPG and sling bottle, on the right for backup light (like above) and GoPro on lanyard. Extra fixed D-rings on both side of waist straps provide click off points for slate, spool, sling bottle and safety sausage when I don't use rear pocket. The extra ring on the waist I used those that are welded to stand up straight - this helps with clicking/unclicking by feel. Hope this helps.

I have the Halcyon Eclipse (like Infinity) and added a couple more D rings to support technical diving gear, slate, camera, etc. Yes, rig you light like tbone1004 shows with clip and secured with rubber band. If you get the Halcyon weight pockets, there will be a D ring on the left one for your SPG. You can get a pocket to attach to the bottom of the plate to hold your safety sausage or lift bag. I have 2 D rings on each side of the shoulder straps, on the left for SPG and sling bottle, on the right for backup light (like above) and GoPro on lanyard. Extra fixed D-rings on both side of waist straps provide click off points for slate, spool, sling bottle and safety sausage when I don't use rear pocket. The extra ring on the waist I used those that are welded to stand up straight - this helps with clicking/unclicking by feel. Hope this helps.

what are you using the extra d-rings for?
Left shoulder- You can attach both the SPG and stage to that shoulder as well as having the backup light on there
Right-shoulder is typically only the long hose when not being used and the other backup light, so perfect spot for the gopro
left hip-spools and slate can go here as well as the bottom of the stage if you can't easily reach the butt d-ring

no need for anything on the right hip but I don't object to them being on there if you don't use a canister light, but in backmount I don't really see the need for the double d-rings on the shoulder. In sidemount we use them because the positioning can be wrong due to the bungee attachment point, but even that is workable depending on what your bungee setup looks like

what are you using the extra d-rings for?
Left shoulder- You can attach both the SPG and stage to that shoulder as well as having the backup light on there
Right-shoulder is typically only the long hose when not being used and the other backup light, so perfect spot for the gopro
left hip-spools and slate can go here as well as the bottom of the stage if you can't easily reach the butt d-ring

no need for anything on the right hip but I don't object to them being on there if you don't use a canister light, but in backmount I don't really see the need for the double d-rings on the shoulder. In sidemount we use them because the positioning can be wrong due to the bungee attachment point, but even that is workable depending on what your bungee setup looks like
Yes, you can simplify and double load the D rings but I generally don't. Left shoulder D rings, lower for SPG higher for Sling. Upper right shoulder for back up light, lower for GoPro snap and tray gets tucked into waist band when not in use. Right side D rings for slate/compass and wreck reel or spool, left side for sling and safety sausage. As much as I can, I prefer only one piece of gear on each D ring - makes it easier to manipulate them by feel. I always use 7 foot primary hose so secondary is on necklace. When I carry lift bag it goes in butt pocket under backplate. Of course this all gets adjusted based on the needs of the dive a lot of the tech gear is not used when working with students as a divemaster. Oh, when I work with new OW students as divemaster, I often end up carrying extra clip on weights to add to buoyant students ;-) This configuration is very flexible and works well for me in numerous dive scenarios.

Last edited:
Left shoulder D rings,
lower for SPG
higher for Sling.
Upper right shoulder for back up light,
lower for GoPro snap
Right side D rings for slate/compass and wreck reel or spool,
left side for sling and safety sausage.

A reminder...

AVOID
a·void
əˈvoid/