[Dive computer] buying advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nodeist

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I would have a look at the Deepblu Cosmiq as well, my students have been very happy with theirs.

mares puck pro is 160 at scuba.com. the deep blu seems to have some fans too if you want to spend a bit more. at the 300ish level, the geo 2 becomes an option if you want a watch size computer.

Forget Cressi anything especially computers and regulators!! Best bet for starter computers are the Oceanic product line. Everything you need at very reasonable price from a top notch company. Suunto and Mares don't come close in features and overall value. If you can wait few more months, then consider DeepSix computer that should be out in few months with the best value at $140.00.

Giotto allows for 99% O2 and 120m depth vs Zoop's 50% and 100m resp. Neither of which matters until (if) you get trained for tech. diving, at which point you'd probably need a better computer anyway. I'd say they're both fine but a Mares Puck Puck/Pro with pretty much the same feature set can typically be had for some $50 less -- at least over here, check your local prices. Also keep in mind that old Zoop (not Novo) has no gauge mode which makes it less useful as a backup device - if you go tech. later. So when looking at the Zoop, make sure it's the Novo and not the previous model on closeout.

Read this thread:

So you want to buy a new computer?

Giotto allows for 99% O2 and 120m depth vs Zoop's 50% and 100m resp. Neither of which matters until (if) you get trained for tech. diving, at which point you'd probably need a better computer anyway.

Right. Anything more than 40% O2 is only going to be for use as an accelerated deco gas. You'd only use that after getting technical dive training (versus "recreational"). And at the point you're doing tech training, you're not going to use a Giotto or a Zoop for gas switching, so being able to use anything over 40% O2 is really meaningless (on a recreational diving-oriented computer like a Giotto or Zoop). For the same reason, computers that support more than 1 gas are equally meaningless.

Nodeist. As you can see you are going to get a lot of opinions and will probably feel overwhelmed with all the information.

I will tell you that both computers are very good and will do everything you need to dive safely. Between the computers it is mostly the one that you prefer. The problem that some dives have with the Cressi, Suunto and Mares dive computers is that they use a program (algorithm) to calculate the NDL that is very conservative, especially with repetitive dives. So divers using thses computers may find second and third dives of the day shorter then fellow divers, especially other divers with an Oceanic computer running a DSAT program.

Hi @Nodeist

As @uncfnp wrote, I would suggest learning a little about decompression algorithms prior to making your computer purchase. Most 1st dive computers will have very similar features, the decompression algorithm will be one difference you may want to take into account. This is a topic generally ignored in OW training

Back
Top Bottom