Need volunteers to clean Doug Aitken pavilions on Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Many of you are aware of the pavilions (underwater sculptures) created by artist Doug Aitken partnering with Sylvia Earle's company DOER Marine, Parley for the Oceans and the Museum of Contemporary Art. We have been relying on volunteers divers to clean the mirrored surfaces on the three pavilions on a weekly basis. At present I have no firm commitments to clean them this month.

Volunteers are provided with free air fills and tanks (if needed). Cleaning supplies are also provided. The time to clean all three by two divers requires about two dives. The maximum depth of the pavilions is about 70 ft for the deepest one.

If you are interested, please contact me by e-mail (bushing@post.harvard.edu). Thank you.

Have volunteers for the rest of January but need them for February.

You can read about the pavilions in my "Dive Dry" column here:

DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #707: WE HAVE PAVILIONS... BUT NOT VONS!

Here's an image of local instructor Mark Guccione diving on one of the pavilions:

Mark Guccione diving on Aitken pavilion.jpg

Here is a great image that Cyril Gutsch of Parley for the Oceans posted of a sea lion enjoying the mirrored surfaces in one of the pavilions:

pavilion with sea lion Cyril Gutsch.jpg

I am excited to be a part of this and be able to help out!! Big thanks to my newest dive buddy @robbcayman for the invite.

THANKS! Send me the date (bushing@post.harvard.edu) when you firm it up as I'm starting to get volunteers for February.

THANKS! Send me the date (bushing@post.harvard.edu) when you firm it up as I'm starting to get volunteers for February.

Will do. I will talk to Turk and nail down the date and e-mail it to you.

Have volunteers for the rest of January but need them for February.

You can read about the pavilions in my "Dive Dry" column here:

DIVE DRY WITH DR. BILL #707: WE HAVE PAVILIONS... BUT NOT VONS!

Here's an image of local instructor Mark Guccione diving on one of the pavilions:

View attachment 389432

Here is a great image that Cyril Gutsch of Parley for the Oceans posted of a sea lion enjoying the mirrored surfaces in one of the pavilions:

View attachment 389433
Hey........ That's me!

Yes, indeed, Gucci boy! I suppose you will now demand residuals...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom