Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ouichef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a question. This is what I've been told and it's also coming from a total rookie so play nice. My understanding is that there are two ways to do the computer 1. From the octopus 2. Wrist They both do the same (all being equal) except wrist can't read tank pressure. Correct or totally off? Which do you like better? I've spent the last 30+yrs working with food so I don't wear jewelry except my wedding ring and very rarely a watch, so something on my wrist is a bit odd. BUT I'm open and would like hear experienced peoples thoughts and recommendations.

I would say that is fairly accurate with the exception of the wrist not being able to provide tank pressure. The wrist is much more convenient as far as accessibility and as long as you have a transmitter you have tank pressure there too. Now there are people like me that have a simple SPG (pressure gauge) clipped off on left hip for back up as well as transmitter to wrist computer. Then there are those that completely trust the transmitter and lose the additional hose all together. There are also those that do wrist computer and SPG clipped to left hip and would never trust a transmitter. It really comes down to what works best for you personally. The console configuration works fine it's just not a "heads up display".

You can get tank pressure on a wrist computer, it's just a bit more expensive. But having your pressure displayed on your computer (air integration aka AI) is typically a pretty expensive feature. For recreational divers, an under $250 computer and a pressure gauge is all you need. You don't need multiple gasses, you don't need helium, you just need a computer with a single gas supporting nitrox that you know how to effective use.

But some people think it's worth paying for a nice computer and/or really like AI.

Not all console computers are air integrated (AI) i.e. provide tank pressure. Many of them are just stand alone computers in the boot. Easy way to tell is if you follow the hose and the computer comes first, it's probably AI. If you get a pressure gauge first it's not.

I prefer a large screen wrist mount, the consoles are too bulky for me and also a little more cumbersome for my diving. I find the Watch sized ones a bit small for the info I need. That being said, my diving is probably quite different to what you are doing. My advice would be to look at a wrist mounted computer first,the consoles can have other ownership issues

I have a question. This is what I've been told and it's also coming from a total rookie so play nice. My understanding is that there are two ways to do the computer 1. From the octopus 2. Wrist They both do the same (all being equal) except wrist can't read tank pressure. Correct or totally off?

Slight correction: a dive computer can be worn on a wrist or mounted on the instrument console (not on the octopus, as this is fed off a low-pressure port, whereas, if tank pressure is to be accurately read, the computer needs to read the pressure off a high-pressure port).

If you wear it on the wrist, you can still see the tank pressure, provided a) the computer supports this functionality and b) you have installed a tank pressure gauge (usually on a high-pressure port on the first stage, from where it will wirelessly communicate readings to the wrist-mounted computer).

Dive computers are never on octopuses. They may be on the end of the pressure gauge, but mostly now they are on the wrist. On the wrist means it is much more easily looked at in my view.

There are some places that refer to the whole reg setup as an octopus, which was where the original name came from. The "octo" we know was always a "safe second (stage)" which was the cause of the octopus comments (remember this pre-dated SPG, the first reg sets had only one hose to a second stage. Adding a safe second made the whole thing look like an octopus, hence the confusing nomenclature).

To the OP, generally accepted usage on this board is that a "First Stage" is connected to a "Second Stage" by means of a "LP (low pressure) hose".
In addition a redundant second stage may be added, this is referred to either as an "octo" or "backup 2nd stage" depending who you ask.
Another LP hose will lead to a QD (quick disconnect) designed to fit onto the Low Pressure Inflator ("LPI") which is the bit with the buttons used to inflate or deflate your BC(D).

An "HP (high pressure) hose" will connect from the 1st stage to a pressure measuring device. This is either a SPG or a computer. Often the SPG / computer will have a "boot" which they fit into which often contains a depth gauge and / or a compass. This multi-instrument housing is referred to as a "console". Some computer manufacturers make a Personal Dive Computer (PDC) which does not read pressure but is shaped like a hockey puck to enable replacing the depth gauge in a normal console, or to be worn in a wrist mount. these puck-shaped computers are referred to as....wait for it...."Puck Computers".

None of this is meant to teach you anything, you already know this, it's more to just make sure we are all on the same page with regard to naming so that confusion is avoided.

You have some options equipmentwise,and the options of where they are mounted/attached is based on comfort and budget

In general divers require (and are trained to use)
1) Depth Gauge
2) Pressure Gauge
and 3) some sort of bottom timer

Cheapest option is a 2/3 Console unit attached to the regulator through a hose (some would go so far as just having pressure gauge only but this is more an exception ) - this hose will also then be the direct link to the pressure gauge (analogue)
More expensive option is adding a computer into the mix,which can act purely as a Dive Timer and Depth Gauge,or added pressure gauge functionality - albeit wirelessly by adding a transmitter to the regulator 1st stage
This computer can either be mounted with the console,or wrist mounted

Personally prefer Wrist mounted,since you dont need to fiddle with the console and yank it around trying to see info,it's readily available in your line of sight instead

A lot comes down to convenience and trust.

Initial air integrated wrist mounted computers suffered a fairly high drop out rate where the transmitter and reciever lost connection so the diver had no idea of gas level (assuming they didn't have an SPG). The current experience I believe (not owning a wireless AI system myself) is that more modern transmitters and receivers are not nearly as susceptible to these issues.

Console mounted computers take their pressure from the HP hose so don't suffer from any of those issues.

Some divers and in particular tech divers (of which there are a lot on this forum) tend to view AI with suspicion and prefer the mechanical SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom