How to overcome ear fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do use an AGA FFM on my Aquarium shifts, regular system on open water dives. I have 10 years of experience with them. IMO the FFM will not likely help this problem and may make it worse. For me it was a LOT worse. I personally don't like the things much, which surprised me because I was looking forward to using them.
I clear easily hands free above water. Once in the water I pretty much have to do a Valsalva. There may be differences in FFM but I wouldn't buy one unless you give it a good try.

Afrin can help the nose, a lot, but it doesn't do as much for the ears. Sudafed is more effective here. A really benign aide is papaya enzyme. Get some tablets, and suck on them (don't swallow) on the way to the dive. They act as a local anti-inflammatory and have no side effects. Some brands are even tasty.

As you get older these kind of problems tend to get worse. If you have allergies treating that should be looked at. You could try some of the non-setading over the counter antihistamines. If you are using Afrin and getting some help from it, I'd strongly suggest you get some OTC nasal steroids (Flonase, Nasacort) and starting a treatment of that. These are NOT like Aftrin with a 15" onset. You need to take them regularly and for 1-2 weeks to reach full effectiveness. You can still use Afrin in addition if you really need to, but I wouldn't recommend regular use of Afrin.

Proplugs are great for keeping water out of the ear. Their claim to enhance clearing I think is completely bogus, and I've been using them faithfully for 15 years. Wouldn't dive without them.

The Pro-mask does work, but it's a one-off product, kind of weird to use, and may not fit as a dive mask. I'd say it might have a better chance working for your ears than a FFM, but a worse chance of fitting. This is another 'you have to try it'.

DO read that whole PREVENTION OF MIDDLE EAR BAROTRAUMA by Dr. Kay
(he's a Club member, and a great resource). I can point you at an hour long video he did if you want.

+1 on what doctormike said.

Last edited:
FMerkal - thanks for the insight on the FFM. I was going to try out the OTS and Oceanreef systems in the pool later next month with an instructor. I'd like to try the FFMs that have a soft nose pocket that you pinch but that may be harder to find as a demo. I'll also have the ProEar mask there as well so I can see if there are any significant differences in my ability to EQ. Granted the pool is not going to be deep enough to be a true test.

I have read Dr. Kay's article and watched the video. It is a great resource. I've also been looking at a few of the freediving sites. There are a few good articles around EQ training for those that have issues.

In the mean time, my plan was to practice equalizing out of the water both with a regulator mouth piece (I use a Mares JAX) and without to practice my EQ technique.

It's frustrating that over the years this has become an issue.

FMerkal - thanks for the insight on the FFM. I was going to try out the OTS and Oceanreef systems in the pool later next month with an instructor. I'd like to try the FFMs that have a soft nose pocket that you pinch but that may be harder to find as a demo. I'll also have the ProEar mask there as well so I can see if there are any significant differences in my ability to EQ. Granted the pool is not going to be deep enough to be a true test.

I have read Dr. Kay's article and watched the video. It is a great resource. I've also been looking at a few of the freediving sites. There are a few good articles around EQ training for those that have issues.

In the mean time, my plan was to practice equalizing out of the water both with a regulator mouth piece (I use a Mares JAX) and without to practice my EQ technique.

It's frustrating that over the years this has become an issue.

if the reasoning for the FFM is so you don't drop the mouthpiece when you yawn and don't want to use your hand, look at the Apeks/Aqualung comfobites, they'll work much better than the Mares mouthpiece for that

The Aquarium demo'ed the Ocean Reef mask about 4-5 years ago. Complete bust, except it DID allow me to clear, where the "nose block" mechanism of the OTS simply does not....which is MY problem, not necessarily yours.

The model we had could be tuned kind of like an adjustable 2nd. Can't do that with OTS. If you tuned it to breath well when semi-upright it would free flow like crazy if you put your head down. If you tuned it to breath OK with your head down, it was lousy when you put your head up. Maybe they have fixed that but pay attention. We could do this in very shallow depths so the pool will reveal it if it's an issue.

Be aware you'll take a bit of a hit in air consumption with a FFM. My wife actually got a bit of CO2 hit using it (shallow breather). She had to learn to take more expansive breaths. You may also notice a bit of a floaty head.

Right ear always appears to be more problematic than the left ear, I assume that there is a difference in structure.

So a quick update... I received my order of an Otovent. I have used it twice and I can clear my left ear with no issues but the right ear as expected was problematic. The way the Otovent works is you blow up the balloon with one nostril at a time and it opens the ETs to EQ. I think the ETs are functioning regardless of the side since when I blew from the right my left ET opened immediately. My right would open once I let the balloon deflate and swallowed. I know I need to trigger my right ET more than my left to open it. After talking with Otovent, they mentioned that after repeated daily use over 4 - 6 weeks my ETs should start to open more effectively. Hopefully, this can restore my ability to EQ my right ear.

Yup, the Otovent is an incentive device to get you to do a gentle Valsalva maneuver. The nasopharynx is one common space with both ETs draining into it, so it shouldn't matter which side of your nose you use the device in...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom