Hello from landlocked Alberta!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norlaine Thomas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone

My husband and I are avid divers, even though life and geography make diving as often as we would like pretty difficult. We have dived in Mexico (cenotes and Cozumel several times), Cuba, Jamaica, and Belize. Our trip to Belize in November 2016 was our first liveaboard experience and we loved it! We are currently planning our next SCUBA adventure, and I am reading threads looking for advice. We have an amazing opportunity to visit the other side of the planet and we are now trying to figure out where to go, how to get there, and what kind of experience we are looking for...

Hello from NS and welcome to the forum. Will you be travelling to the GBR? How are things going up in Fort Mac since the fire?

We haven't decided where to go. We are looking at GBR, but also Palau and French Polynesia... We are looking at a really long plane ride segment, in any case, so we want to make sure we choose wisely. Have you been anywhere over there? Any recommendations?

Fort Mac is rebuilding. Oil prices are still low, so I gather the oil patch is not doing huge hiring yet. Maybe it will be incentive for speedier growth of alternative energy companies and other industry sectors. Goodness knows, the Alberta economy needs more diversification. It's never good to have all your eggs in one basket.

No, I haven't dived overseas (yet). Odd to hear on the News that the NS economy is better than Alberta's right now. When I was in McMurray in 1979 it was 30,000.

I have only been in Fort Mac once. Our youngest daughter's Midget hockey team made the provincials a few years ago, and we had to go to Fort Mac for that. It was a bustling community. Not at all like what we expected. You hear the talk about it being a tough town full of oil-rig cowboys, but it was just like anywhere else. Schools and stores and community centres and nice neighbourhoods, families and pets and playgrounds... I must say, it was a pretty expensive trip to go and watch your kid get roughed up by bigger girls from the small-town teams, and your team get beaten game after game, but that is how it goes anywhere - the small-town teams always seem to get a charge out of pummelling the city kids... Our hotel was right next to the notorious Oil Can Tavern, so a bunch of us parents went and checked it out one evening. It really didn't live up to its reputation, either. Mediocre country band playing while some people tried to line-dance. Not a "nice" place, but I have certainly seen worse. It was so sad for all those people when the fire swept through. CBC Alberta was on-air live 24 hours a day during the fire, helping people find relatives and friends who had been evacuated, helping co-ordinate relief resources, keeping everyone up to date on latest developments, even helping to get pets rescued... They did a terrific job. As did the firefighters, Red Cross, and all the communities that stepped up and offered shelter and food and clothing to evacuees.

So, do you do most of your diving locally? We have been reluctant to try diving in Canadian waters because it just seems like it would be really, really cold. Although I have been hearing interesting things about diving the Great Lakes.

The water is really cold but lots of great stuff to see. Waterton is close to you

Diving is OK in the NS Atlantic. Many dive drysuit year round, though some of us hang on to diving wet (and spend a couple of winter months South--like me now in Destin, FL). You may do OK, as you're used to pretty cold winters. We spent 25 years up in Thompson, MB, which gets you real used to -30. But no interest in diving until our move 11 years ago to the coast.

The N. Atlantic takes a long time to warm up--like it's still 45F (+7C) in June. Can reach mid 60s (16+) in Aug./Sept. But it holds the heat later too- like still +10 in Dec.

Hey and welcome to Scubaboard. I've never dived in Canada since I became a diver only after moving to South East Asia. But I have dived many many parts of South East Asia. So if you have questions about any specific country, I may be able to help. I've never been out to Palau and Polynesia yet as they are quite expensive to get to.

My favourite places are in the Philippines and Indonesia. Just be sure to check out the dive season for where you want to go. It may be warm all year round, but there are hurricane seasons and such. I also dived the GBR on a liveaboard and it was amazing too.

Hi Norlaine and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you and your husband got in some great dive trips and many more to go. Best wishes on you future diving adventures!

howdy and welcome from southeast florida.....

Back
Top Bottom