Cost of pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decided to refloat this thread rather than start a new one; I just picked up a 19 cf pony and reconfigured my Scubapro Mk2/R190 for it. Given the prior discussions on this thread, I'll specify that I'm opting for a pony for two reasons:

1) I do relatively deep (90-130 ft) recreational drift dives in Jupiter where having a buddy around is not always a sure thing.
2) I want insurance against a failure in my primary reg's 1st stage or hoses.

I am not using this rig for deco dives or extensive dives in an overhead environment. On deeper dives I plan to have a steel 120 cf tank as my primary gas source and will plan my dive according to that supply. The pony is intended to get me safely to the surface should the primary gas source be unavailable due to a system failure.

I'm currently trying to decide on the best way to set the tank up on my BP/W.These were the three configurations I was considering, and my initial thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Still trying to figure out how I want to set things up.

Sling
Pro: Easy to reach, easy to unclip.
Con: I often carry a still camera with strobe arms (or sometimes a Zookeeper for lionfish), so having a tank dangling in front of me might be too much gear up front.

Tank Mount - Upright
Pro: Shorter hose needed for the 2nd stage, out of the way.
Con: Harder to get at the valve (assuming I don't just turn it on at the surface and leave it on for the dive). May affect balance.

Tank Mount - Inverted
Pro: Easy to reach the valve, out of the way.
Con: A 30-inch hose leaves me with little if any slack on the 2nd stage. Downward-facing valve may be more vulnerable to damage when moving around on the boat. May affect balance.

Any suggestions?

Decided to refloat this thread rather than start a new one; I just picked up a 19 cf pony and reconfigured my Scubapro Mk2/R190 for it. Given the prior discussions on this thread, I'll specify that I'm opting for a pony for two reasons:
Any suggestions?

I know very few experienced divers that use the tank mount option. It seems attractive at first but you'll find and pre-rigged slinged pony is easy to clip on and off.

I dive stage/pony bottles all the time and never have an issue with it interfering with my camera rig. If it is slung properly, the tank will sit under your arm and you'll never know it's there.

Go with the sling option. You'll thank yourself later. It's also cheaper which is a bonus.

1) I do relatively deep (90-130 ft) recreational drift dives in Jupiter where having a buddy around is not always a sure thing.
2) I want insurance against a failure in my primary reg's 1st stage or hoses.

I am not using this rig for deco dives or extensive dives in an overhead environment. On deeper dives I plan to have a steel 120 cf tank as my primary gas source and will plan my dive according to that supply. The pony is intended to get me safely to the surface should the primary gas source be unavailable due to a system failure.

I'm currently trying to decide on the best way to set the tank up on my BP/W.These were the three configurations I was considering, and my initial thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Still trying to figure out how I want to set things up.

Sling
Pro: Easy to reach, easy to unclip.
Con: I often carry a still camera with strobe arms (or sometimes a Zookeeper for lionfish), so having a tank dangling in front of me might be too much gear up front.

Tank Mount - Upright
Pro: Shorter hose needed for the 2nd stage, out of the way.
Con: Harder to get at the valve (assuming I don't just turn it on at the surface and leave it on for the dive). May affect balance.

Tank Mount - Inverted
Pro: Easy to reach the valve, out of the way.
Con: A 30-inch hose leaves me with little if any slack on the 2nd stage. Downward-facing valve may be more vulnerable to damage when moving around on the boat. May affect balance.

Any suggestions?
On the dive boats out of WPB area sling tank works best for me. Much easier to deal with on the boat, especially one near capacity of divers. I can use an enpty spot beside me if available but if nit I just place it under my seat until ready to dive. Then a quick reach under the seat and two clips and I am ready to go. To me this is the biddest reason to sling.

I sling to left and that leaves the right side free for other gear.

For a pony off a boat, I would sling it.

For a pony in general, I would probably sling it. There's also the fact that I might have a drysuit bottle back there, so slinging the pony is more consistent across configurations.

What happened to the AL30?

Dove my pony for the first time in the pool today. Lower bungee is a bit long and needs to be shortened. Put it on about 15 minutes into 90 minute pool session, and I kept it on for the entire time. Clipped it on in the water with buddy's help. Didn't feel lopsided at all or have to adjust my weighting. It's just a matter of fine-tuning buoyancy, which I'm working on anyway. I barely felt it was there.

View media item 202098

why do you have the octopus routed over your shoulder? I think I would put in under my arm pit, and I would be using a necklace

Just a mistake. It came out of the holder and I just stuck it back in. Haven't gotten around to getting a necklace yet.

Also, you might want to keep the second stage of the pony bottle from sitting under the pony, it will drag in the mud like that.

Back
Top Bottom