Fatal accident in Ojamo mine, Finland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There was a fatal accident today at Ojamo mine, Finland.
The news reports don't say anything about what happened. The only extra things I know so far is that it was a middle-aged man and that he said during the dive he had some unspecified problems, but didn't make it.

News in Finnish:
Lohjalaissukeltaja: Kaivoslampi ei ole erityisen vaarallinen kohde
Lohjalla vakava sukellusturma – vanhassa kaivoksessa sukeltanut mies kuoli

Some info about the mine:
Divers of the Dark
Finland's Ojamo Mine | X-Ray Mag

RIP & condolences to his family.

You mean the surface of the water was not covered by ice at the time of the accident?

4C is still pretty cold for me.

I mean the diver was not alone and I don't think he was trapped by the ice.
There are two areas of the open part of the quarry that are kept open from ice and line is installed connecting them to the mine tunnels, deco trapeze and habitat. While it is possible to become disoriented, or have a situation with a broken line, divers are required to first do five open water dives to become familiar with the open pit and line layout before being assessed and granted (or not) permission to dive the tunnels. This is in addition to cave certification requirements. And after that, there are different levels of permissions that depend on experience, cave, trimix, etc training and further assessments.
This system has been proven effective and I don't know what happened now. Everyone is being very quiet about it.

Yes, from the grapevine it seems like "trapped under the ice" is completely wrong. If there was ice, a suitable entrance is made and maintained, so the presence of ice is irrelevant.

The Finnish Divers Association often posts official reports, possibly even within just a few weeks.

They have only posted this (Google-translated) so far:

"A middle-aged man died scuba diving Ojamo kaivoslammella Lohja on Saturday, 01.14.2017 afternoon. The man was carried out by the water flooded cave diving in an old limestone mine with other enthusiasts of the species. Diver died inside the excavation hall quite close to the exits. Other on-site dived enthusiasts sought out the victim, who had died when the diver dedicated group made incident alarm. Arrived at the scene emergency rescue stimulus did not produce any more results. Police are investigating the incident.

Diver Association will inform the more, if certain additional information is available to the public the future."

Original link Sukeltajaliitto ry - Uutiset - Sukeltaja menehtynyt kaivoslammella Lohjalla 14.1.2017

It confirms that the accident happened inside the tunnels, close to the exit.

Any more information about this accident? OC or CCR?

I checked what was online in Finnish. No mention of OC or CCR. He has been identified by name and occupation, with lots of comments from the community that knew him, nothing relevant to our interests except that he was appropriately trained, experienced, not old, healthy, loved diving.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom