PADI Drysuit Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
1 1/2 years ago I started on my drysuit cert. I completed the classroom and pool as well as 1 OW dive. My first OW dive resulted in a middle ear barotrauma when I ascended too fast at the end of the dive so I was unable to complete the 2nd dive of the day. Due to various reasons (work, and family etc) I never went back for my 2nd OW dive.

Is there a time limit for completing the 2nd dive?

Thanks

Even if there isn't, I would say that after 18 months that it would be better to redo the pool and OW dives. It can only stand you in good stead and those skills are very perishable if you don't have a large foundation of dives to build on.

If and when you go back, have a very close look at your weighting. If you descended so fast that you suffered a barotrauma it is likely you were severely overweighted.

No doubt I want and need more training. Especially in OW. I was just curious if I had to start from the beginning.

He A-scended too fast.
Sure......make fun of my poor old eyesight.........I'm gonna go watch Matlock.....lol.

He A-scended too fast.

Which is absolutely typical of being over-weighted.

The diver has to compensate for superfluous weight by adding a greater volume of gas to his BCD/drysuit.

On A-scent, that greater volume of gas expands as per Boyle's Law. Positive buoyancy results much more quickly and dramatically, especially in the shallows - where ambient pressure reduction is most significant over a small depth.

For example:

From 10m/33ft to the surface the pressure valves (2ata - 1ata) which means any gas in the BCD/drysuit doubles in volume and, consequently, positive buoyancy.

A proper weighted diver with, maybe, 1 liter of gas in their BCD/drysuit will notice an expansion to 2 liters of gas.
1 liter of gas volume equals 1kg of positive buoyancy in fresh water.
The total buoyancy rise is only 1kg. It's easy to compensate for 1kg increase using the lungs...and simple to quickly dump 1 liter if gas from the BCD/drysuit.

In contrast, an OVERweighted diver with, maybe, 5 liters of gas in their BCD/drysuit will notice an expansion to 10 liters of gas.
The total buoyancy rise is a massive 5kg. It's hard to compensate for 5kg increase using the lungs...and very hard to quickly and accurately dump 5 liters of gas from the BCD/drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom