Why you should use wool and avoid cotton like the plague

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find other wool itchy, but many merino wool products are itch-free. Merino wool thermal underwear is incredibly warm, quick-drying and even odor-resistant.
I but a lot of stuff from Ullmax

REI brand merino wool midweight base layers are amazing. No itch or smell. Great price with member 20% off Sale or black friday/cyber monday.

No itch or smell.
There are - IMNSHO - two great advantages with wool compared to synthetics: The most important one is the insulation properties, particularly when damp or wet. Another great thing with wool is that you can use it for quite some time before it gets too ripe. IME synthetics smell like week-old roadkill after being used just a few times without washing - and when you've had them for a year or so, they start to stink about an hour after you've put it on - while wool can be used for quite a while before it starts to get funky.

No matter the brand.

I love Ortovox brand merino wool base layer. They also make 100% merino wool sports bras which are actually amazing. It's gross but the absolute worst thing is when I get sweaty on my chest or back because I'm wearing a synthetic sports bra.
They are softer and smoother than any synthetic or cotton sports bra I've tried and zero itch. Helps me stay comfy when I'm working hard snowmobiling or just diving.
But I agree, always wool and really there are so many "high tech" brands now that there should be no itch if you go for quality

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom