Leonardo Cressi and a Macbook (Problem)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like I said, subsurface isn't going to work if your usb cradle isn't recognized. Yesterday I couldn't remember where the instructions were, I do now: libdivecomputer, a library for communication with various dive computers. -- mac'oh'sex instructions are at the bottom. Note that I have not tried them, no idea if they work in general and on your mac in particular.

FWIW, I have it working on a windows 7 PC. I had it working on my windows 8 laptop but then some update broke it and I'm not fixing it until my next diving vacation.

Just not my product!! wondering now if I have a faulty cradle because I've downloaded and installed the drivers and it still doesn't work. Back to the shop!

I had the same issue after upgrading to the latest OS X. I had to delete all drivers and start again from Cressida site. It all worked in the end it was just a faff. Now use a Eon steel, connects no problems

Just not my product!! wondering now if I have a faulty cradle because I've downloaded and installed the drivers and it still doesn't work. Back to the shop!

Hey friend, I don't think you have a faulty cradle because I'm having the same problem here. I've downloaded 4 dives total (in two separated "download sessions") but now it isn't working anymore. I had my Mac formatted since then.

Anyways, I reckon it's just poor software programming.

I'll give subsurface a try.

I use Macdive. When using the cradle on the Mac I would open the Cressie log book software first, this would find the correct port, close it done and then use Macdive for the downloads. If I tried just with Mac Dive it wouldn't' find the port the cradle was plugged into. You'll know when the yellow light starts to flicker. Not sure if its and Issue with the Cressie software, Mac dive or the Mac but that's what I used to do and it works.

Shouting at it doesn't' seem too help but made me feel better :wink:

Not sure if its and Issue with the Cressie software, Mac dive or the Mac but that's what I used to do and it works.
DC vendors have very little to do with uplink cradles: DC hardware is in this case Seiko, it's using a serial port communication protocol but the link is actually IR. And since modern PCs don't have serial ports anymore, you have to stick a serial-to-USB converter in there. Typically Cressi programming would end at the IR eye blinking the log entries into the distance. The IR receiver, ADC, and serial to USB are some off-the-shelf chips packaged into the uplink cradle. What the PC needs to talk to is the USB side of that mess.
Typically it's a 10-yo Prolific USB-to-serial chip whose divers have never been updated past Windows 2000 and/or Mac OS 10.3. Prolific doesn't care: they have newer chips that are supported and come with "trusted" drivers. AppleMicrosoft don't care: DC users aren't a market segment, not even a splinter of a sliver of a market fragment. Cressi should care but evidently there aren't enough screaming customers to make them. Plus I really don't think they have a clue: their product is the dive computer. The cradle is not their software, not their hardware, not their area of expertise, and it all worked until AppleMicrosoft broke it -- for your own good of course: to protect you from eeveel h4x0rz and dread war3z pirates.

Ok, I managed to make Cressi software to work. Basically, I had to restart my computer and reinstall the software a couple times.

One important thing is that if the DC is not connecting with Cressi's software, chances are it won't work w/ the alternative softwares (i.e. Subsurface, Macdive). In fact, this information is in Macdive F.A.Q.

Good luck to you all!

Hey, almost 1 1/2 year to get it running today... - now i have a solution !
There is a little USB stick called divemate fusion ir. With this i had no problem with the original cress software and macdive and subsurface > it`s just working, i never got the original interface to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom