Frequent exercising and diving. .. DCS risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30'/10 meters you will tend to stay longer u/w and thus you will accumulate more nitrogen in your slower tissue, wouldn't that be a problem?

IIRC 10 metres was Haldane's original no-limit depth, so probably no: it should not be a problem. Though you might want to stay at around 8 metres or so just to be on the safe side according to the current state of the art.

There have been quite a few scientific publications in the last 15 years on the subject. Generally speaking, the results suggest that a fit diver has an advantage over an unfit diver regarding DCS. Exercising before diving appears protective, as well, but the timing has not been universally established.

Mild to even moderate exercise during decompression is also deemed beneficial by the data.

What is not recommended is exercising AFTER diving, at least not for a few hours. (See also the summary article on IPAVA).

If you are interested on actually reading the scientific articles, the link to TRERO's (a non-for-profit organization for rebreather exploration and research) reference library is included below. (BTW, I will update the library content next month)

The Rebreather Exploration and Research Organization

If you want to read some other interesting articles, click on "research" to find specific summary articles written for laypeople.

For dives at home I just do easy cardio, 60-75% training HR, and stretching the day before. After the dives I'm off for 24 hours.
I had a sprint tri three weeks after a trip where I was going to dive several days. I just planned my training to have that week be a recovery week. I stayed active, diving and swimming, but no real training sessions. I felt very recovered and hit two hard weeks and then backed off race week. It think it went well. Plan it out and don't be afraid to give yourself recovery time, your body likely needs it if you train hard.

I tried to read up on this, but there seem so relatively little evidence for exercise-induced DCS. However, there are plenty of reports of unfit divers having medical issues at depth. So I just avoid serious exercise right before or after a dive, but otherwise do my best to stay in shape. And that means a lot of strenuous exercise and healthy eating habits, for me at least.

Any thoughts on the subject?
How much is too much?
If you exercise frequently...during a diving vacation, is it still possible to still be able to exercise without having any diving-related problems or do you just play it safe and take the week off? How do you time your workouts and around dives? This question is more for athletes, or anyone that just exercises frequently (weights, races, etx etc....)

Just anecdotal since nobody knows but, I have been a triathlete wannabe since I was 30 years old and I have always worked out. I still work out EVERY day at least one hour. My fitness level that I try to maintain is that at anytime, I could swim a mile, jump on my bike and rip off 25 miles and then jump off and run 6 miles. Now, for sure, I do not go as fast at 63 as I did when I was 33, but I still go. I think it is this way, people whose bodies are accustomed to exercise and sustained efforts will suffer no harm from a reasonable continuance of a work out routine whilst on a diving vacation. On the other hand, those New Years Day warriors who work out infrequently (or the day after New Years) and then decide to hit it while on vacation, well, maybe they should not. Their bodies are not up to it, not used to it nor conditioned for it.

I train to dive, I see no reason why I could not train while diving.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom