I'm between HOG Deluxe Flex Harness or Dive Rite Transpac XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almogk

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,
I'm between getting the HOG Deluxe Flex Harness with a soft plate and 32 lb wings or the Dive Rite Transpac XT does anyone have feedback or recommendations.

I should note I'm looking for travel gear or at least something that doesn't have too much weight which is why I choose the soft plate but still somewhat technical. My main BSD at home is OMS but way to heavy to ship to where I'm heading.

I also looked at Hollis Light Travel System (L.T.S.) BCD but no D-rings and not sure about it. Maybe the Hollis HD 200 BC

I love my DiveRite Transpac XT, with awesome wing Travel EXP it weights only 4 kilos. I'm using 2 kilos of weights. For single tank it's perfect. The only downside I could think of is a lack of place to attach pockets.

I also have a Transpac XT with a voyger 36# wing. I've had it for a couple of years, maybe 200 dives and has been around the world a few times. I boat dive regularly so the kit does get a bit of a bashing on deck, so far no issues. I think it is well made

It doesn't pack as tightly as a normal hog rig.

Mine is equipped with 2 DR velcro top pockets on the waist band and a "Tec" Butt plate and butt pocket. My weight (if needed) goes in trim pockets - and a kg or too

I find the pad to be positively buoyant. I know they advertise it as neutral, but I don't feel it is so. Unless I'm divign steels in the summer where it adds a bit if lift, I remove it as its only attached with velcro.

I do like the way you can adjust the way the shoulder straps attached to the waist belt at the rear to compensate for different tank weights.

I didn't like the thin crotch strap and plastic clip so swapped that out for standard strap. You do lose the means to adjust whilst wearing but once mine was set it's okay.

I have used it for my Drysuit but that was marginal and now have switched back to conventional SS plate for winter diving

So apart from my personal preferences, I would highly recommend - I've been extremely happy. I have no experience with the Hog so can't compare the two

Both are very good rigs if you want something compact and customizable. It is easy to add additional D Rings and fine tune the rig. I can't say for certain, as I don't have both next to me, but I think the HOG will pack down tighter and be more compact if traveling is a big component of your purchase decision.

What size wing were you looking to put on either? Do you already have a wing, or will you be purchasing a wing when you get the harness?

What kind of diving will you be doing mostly and where?

Cheers,
Landon

If you want a lightweight, easy-to-pack travel rig and the DR Travel EXP wing is enough lift (25 #), then I would suggest to consider:

VDH Universal Back Plate - $75 - I don't think it gets any lighter or easier to pack (or streamlined) than this
Store - Vintage Double Hose

DGX Gears Wing - $199 - the same wing as the DR Travel EXP, just labelled for DGX
DGX Gears Single Tank Wing

And a basic Hogarthian harness. Put on as many D-rings as you want, wherever you want. Personally, I prefer to buy webbing and all the individual bits separately, so I can have it exactly how I want it. None of the pre-made kits have the style of D-rings I prefer or the waist buckle I prefer.

Add a couple of tank straps and you're good to go. I strongly prefer these, myself and they're only $20 each.
DGX Tank Strap, Quick Release with S/S Hinge Buckle

I also considered a Transpac XT with a Travel wing but settled for a Travelpac (TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite) which is a Transpac and a Travel wing sewn together. The advantage over having a separate Transpac and Travel wing is a reduction in weight (Travelpac weight is 2.5kg for a size L vs. 3.2kg of the combined weight of Transpac & Travel wing); the disadvantage, on the other hand is that you don't have the option of separating the two and using them on different setups.

Have tried other soft plates but, in my opinion, the Transpac is the most comfortable.

if you are looking to shed weight when travelling, you'll be hard pressed to find a rig that is lighter than a DSS kydex plate with something like a Torus 17 wing. Other than that, if you want to stay with Dive Rite, the Hunterpac will be most similar to what you have now.

if you are looking to shed weight when travelling, you'll be hard pressed to find a rig that is lighter than a DSS kydex plate with something like a Torus 17 wing.

True. But, the VDH plate is approximately the same weight (I believe), easier to pack, puts a single tank closer to your center of gravity, and is a LOT less expensive. The downside to the VDH plate is that you can't use it with doubles. But, some people don't care about that. And it seems to me that almost everybody that dives doubles ends up owning at least 2 back plates anyway.

It's about $150 less expensive, but not much less than a hunterpac. I would probably go with a Hunterpac before I went with the VDH plate, but that's just me

It's about $150 less expensive, but not much less than a hunterpac. I would probably go with a Hunterpac before I went with the VDH plate, but that's just me

It looks like the HunterPac is discontinued..?

$325 (roughly, or less) for a VDH plate, DGX wing, and Hogarthian harness vs $460 for a DSS rig with Kydex and Torus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom