Help! Olympus housing - can't remove port!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDevil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A question for any photographers using Olympus housings (I have the EPL-5 housing). I'm having a real battle getting the port off my housing. I want to swap the Olympus flat port over to my Zen dome port which I have done a number of times before and have always been able to do it by hand (with a bit of effort, but not too hard). But right now I can't budge it at all.

I went and bought a strap wrench but it won't move even the slightest bit even with a lot of force. I'm giving it a soak in warm water at present but I really doubt it will make a difference. I'm getting a bit desperate because I'm going on a trip soon to a location where I will definitely want to be able to use my dome port. Any ideas?

(Yes, I have removed the screw and checked that I am turning it in the right direction by checking the plastic lugs inside)

I had an Olympus Camera & housing and I often found that it was usually very hard to change the dome ports as well. Often, I needed some additional leverage, and I would mount the housing on to the tray and that would give me the extra leverage that I needed.

They certainly are not easy to remove though. I wish you good luck.

I've had trouble with this myself. I use a strap wrench and get a good hold on the housing.
Also, if you get it off, put more silicon grease on it so it's easier next time.

I've had more trouble with my Zen port. My AOI port is easier to deal with.

this is also a good reminder to go and remove my port as time is your enemy in this.

I had an Olympus Camera & housing and I often found that it was usually very hard to change the dome ports as well. Often, I needed some additional leverage, and I would mount the housing on to the tray and that would give me the extra leverage that I needed.

They certainly are not easy to remove though. I wish you good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and definitely got more leverage. But unfortunately the port remains firmly jammed on!

Sorry to hear this, BlueDevil - must be incredibly frustrating with your trip approaching. I would just add that I read advice on this forum once to wrap the housing in a towel and hold it between your knees while sitting for additional leverage. That worked well for me on a recent trip where the port was stuck.

I'm guessing you've already tried a quick twist the other direction. Wouldn't hurt - there was one time where I was positive I was twisting the correct way after looking at the lugs, but managed to confuse myself as I turned the camera around.

James

Sorry to hear this, BlueDevil - must be incredibly frustrating with your trip approaching. I would just add that I read advice on this forum once to wrap the housing in a towel and hold it between your knees while sitting for additional leverage. That worked well for me on a recent trip where the port was stuck.

I'm guessing you've already tried a quick twist the other direction. Wouldn't hurt - there was one time where I was positive I was twisting the correct way after looking at the lugs, but managed to confuse myself as I turned the camera around.

James

Thanks James. The towel tip for extra grip is a good idea, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I've tried everything I can and am now resigned to the fact that I will have to do without my dome port for this trip. And yes, you're right, it is easy to mix up which direction to turn it so I did try both ways with no success.

It's a shame because I'm heading off to the Solomon Islands where much of the territory would definitely favour wide angle.

It must come off BD! The longer you leave it the worse it could get. Try putting it in hot water or if that doesn't work try ice water. There must be an engineer here who could give you advice? Had the same problem with my E520 housing, got the biggest strap wrench I could find held it in a towel and just managed to remove it. Never used the strap since but it did the job.

I figured the housing wasn't much use if I could not use the extension to hold my 1.4x converter.

Good luck but don't let it beat you, it went on, it must come off.

Hi, you really should relax, it will come out. Having been in your shoes I know its hard and at times tend to think it as fused together (it's not the case).

Just going back to basics, get a wide step wrench and recruit someones help.

The next important step is open the housing ! ! ! I know it's more fragile and you are going to apply some force, but it's very important open the housing so you are not battling the vacum.

Let your friend grab the housing by the sides (near the hinge and the lock), apply the step wrench to the port (beware of rotation side) and apply twisting force to the wrench. The idear is the wrench will help you twist the port.

Please do not put the housing in hot or cold water, hot water can damage the housing. Also do the procedure with housing perfectly dry otherwise the step wrench will then to slip (the grip will much less).

Good luck and remember to replace the two port o-rings after sucessfuly removing the port .

Thanks for the advice PedroP. Helpful to many who have had the same issue ie me!

if you put the dome in ice cold water before you try again it may help, it did with mine that I struggled with for a couple hours, almost gave up. Strap wrench and ice water (left neoprene cover to protect the glass when I put in water)

Dome sits on my Oly EM-5 housing now(with adapter), used to live on my EPM-1 hosuing.

I have also used more lubricant on orings now..cristo lube because it doesn't get as sticky over time as silicone grease

Back
Top Bottom