Perdix AI not supported on Windows 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I didn't know this until after I got my Perdix AI (yesterday). I don't think this is going to stop anybody from buying one, but I still figured I'd post a mention of it here, since I never saw any mention of this before.

The Shearwater Desktop software runs on Windows 7, but it will only connect to the older SW computers. SW Desktop will NOT connect to a Perdix AI if you are running it on Windows 7.

The Shearwater explanation is that the Perdix AI uses Bluetooth Low Energy. The regular Perdix and all previous SW computers use regular Bluetooth (not Low Energy). SW says Bluetooth LE is not supported by Windows 7, so the Desktop cannot connect from Win7 to the Perdix AI.

If you are like me and your only Windows computer(s) is Windows 7, then the only way you can update firmware or download dives from a Perdix AI is by either upgrading to Windows 8 or 10, or by using a Mac - and even then the Mac has to have MacOS 10.10.0 or later.

SW did tell me that their Cloud-based app for mobile devices (e.g. iPhones and Android phones/tablets) is in beta testing right now and it will support updating the Perdix AI firmware and downloading dive data.

In the meantime, Subsurface also does not yet support the Perdix AI. So, if you don't have Windows 8 or later or MacOS 10.10 or later, you will not even be able to download dives from a Perdix AI.

Just an FYI. Like I said, I don't expect this info would stop anybody from buying one.

I was going to assume that android and iOS should, but now I'm not.

In the meantime, Subsurface also does not yet support the Perdix AI. So, if you don't have Windows 8 or later or MacOS 10.10 or later, you will not even be able to download dives from a Perdix AI.

So you have helped me several times - here is some payback...

You are correct that you need to run Windows 8 or 10. I knew that and failed to mention it.

There is a workaround for Shearwater Desktop to Subsurface.
First you are correct the AI does not connect to Subsurface - but this is what I do.

In Shearwater Desktop -
1) Highlight a single or multiple dives (use shift + left click) you want to go to Subsurface
2) File > Export Dive > XML
3) Save the XML where you can access it - I created a separate folder for Desktop XML's

In Subsurface -
1) Import > Import log files > select the folder or files that you exported from Desktop XML's (each dive will be a separate XML)
2) Click Open and Voila!

:)

So you have helped me several times - here is some payback...

You are correct that you need to run Windows 8 or 10. I knew that and failed to mention it.

There is a workaround for Shearwater Desktop to Subsurface.
First you are correct the AI does not connect to Subsurface - but this is what I do.

In Shearwater Desktop -
1) Highlight a single or multiple dives (use shift + left click) you want to go to Subsurface
2) File > Export Dive > XML
3) Save the XML where you can access it - I created a separate folder for Desktop XML's

In Subsurface -
1) Import > Import log files > select the folder or files that you exported from Desktop XML's (each dive will be a separate XML)
2) Click Open and Voila!

:)

Thanks. :D

I did know that. But, since I don't have a machine of my own that can run the SW Desktop to download the dives, that doesn't help me. I do have a Macbook that I could use, but it belongs to work and I don't want to use it for that.

I got the Subsurface source code and I am working on adding support for the Perdix AI so that it will work on Linux (which is my main OS for my personal machine). If I'm lucky, my code will work (or easily port) for the other platforms that support BT LE. Most likely, Dirk or someone else from the regular Subsurface dev team will do the work and have it finished long before I do, but one way or another, I will have Subsurface support I can use before I would upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 (i.e. NEVER) or use my work laptop for running SW desktop to download my dives.

It's a little bit moot right now, anyway. I just got the PAI and I'm not even sure yet when I'm going to get to dive it. :(

I don't actually use Shearwater Desktop except for firmware updates. I use Dive Log on my iPhone and Diving Log 6.0 on my PC (windows 7) and you can Bluetooth Dives from the Perdix AI to Dive Log on the iPhone (super easy) and then synch Dive Log on the iPhone with Diving Log 6.0 on the PC (via Bluetooth and, again, super easy). The iPhone app and the PC program are a nice combo and work pretty seamlessly. Here is how you transfer from the Perdix to the iPhone (Perdix AI works the same way):

Dive Log has already also indicated that they are adding support for the AI features of the Perdix AI to the iOS app shortly:
More Mobile Software • View topic - Perdix AI support

It appears that Diving Log 6.0 has already added an update to support for the PC program:
Diving Log - Supportforum • View topic - Perdix AI tank pressure did not import from Shearwater DT

As the Shearwater cloud app will allow for firmware updates, it bypasses the need to use Shearwater Desktop on a computer - so I should be all set. I'm planning on building a new Win 10 machine anyhow, so I'll have that in the future as well. In the near term, If Shearwater releases a Perdix AI firmware update, I have access to Win 8/10 machines I can use to load it.

Well, I don't use an iPhone, so that wouldn't help me. I am Android all the way. :)

And, while Diving Log looks really nice, it's over $40. Subsurface is free and it's also really nice. :) It's too bad that Subsurface doesn't have Perdix AI support yet, but then, I don't NEED it yet, either, so I have no problem waiting. Being able to do it myself is even cooler.

Subsurface also has a mobile app, but I haven't really used it, so I don't know if you can use it to download dives from a dive computer.

Well, I don't use an iPhone, so that wouldn't help me. I am Android all the way. :)

And, while Diving Log looks really nice, it's over $40. Subsurface is free and it's also really nice. :) It's too bad that Subsurface doesn't have Perdix AI support yet, but then, I don't NEED it yet, either, so I have no problem waiting. Being able to do it myself is even cooler.

Subsurface also has a mobile app, but I haven't really used it, so I don't know if you can use it to download dives from a dive computer.
Dive Log is available for Android as well - but the iOS app is a little more polished (I'm normally not a big Apple fan, but in this case I like the iOS app better). I don't mind paying $40 for a good piece of software with good support - but, to each, his own... Subsurface does seem widely used from what I read.

Last edited:
I don't mind paying $40 for a good piece of software with good support

I totally agree. I write software for a living. I am totally onboard with paying for it if it works. But, I am also totally onboard with using free software if it works just as well (for me). Especially when the free software gives me the ability (via having the source code) to maintain or customize it myself, going forward, in the event the developers that work on it now all die in a fiery boat crash. ;-)

If I can't make the Subsurface import from PAI work and the "real" Subsurface devs don't get it done by the time I feel like I NEED it, then I'll pay the $40 without complaint, if that's what I need to do.

You can only add a dive manually from the app. When you download the dive from Shearwater Desktop to Subsurface then you can add the profile and details...

Back
Top Bottom