Not in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if part of Cozumel's magic is a blessing in disguise from the high volume cruise ship traffic. You've got scads of risk-adverse tourists bringing money in, who don't stay into late evening or the night and so they're not pouring money & people into the late night bar scene or drug trade. Just there in broad day light. And everyone knows violent incidents could scare them off.

Richard.

More sad news from Not-Cozumel-but-Closer-Than-You-Might-Expect: I saw news today of some kind of shootout between cops and non-cops in Cancun yesterday, several dead.

We walked back from El Morro to the Aldora villa around 10pm Christmas Day. Never felt unsafe once and quite enjoyed the lights and music coming from various houses.

We walked back from La Perlita to the square a few weeks ago about 9 PM. Also never felt unsafe, and happened upon a wedding at some church, so we hung around with several locals and waited for the bride to walk in. It was a nice experience. We've walked a lot of the neighborhoods and honestly never get a second look, everyone is just going about their daily lives just like most places

More sad news from Not-Cozumel-but-Closer-Than-You-Might-Expect: I saw news today of some kind of shootout between cops and non-cops in Cancun yesterday, several dead.
4 Dead in New Shooting in Mexico's Caribbean Resort Region
Back-to-back shootings shake Mexico's tourism jewels

Another report from the Yucatan times was claiming that in Cancun the authorities were holding a local cartel leader 'Dona Lety' and the Cancun violence was an attempt to retrieve her, which is denied by the state authorities.

Cancun under siege

A search on 'Dona Lety' turns up a lot of recent items but all but the translations by Chrome are fragmented.

Meanwhile back in Playa there are reports that Narco mantras claiming responsibility for the attack Blue Parrot were being hung around town.
Borderland Beat: Playa del Carmen: Zetas claim responsibility of Blue Parrot attack in narco message

I really hope this BS stays on the other side of the channel and Cozumel remains the safe Oasis it is.

4 Dead in New Shooting in Mexico's Caribbean Resort Region
Back-to-back shootings shake Mexico's tourism jewels

Another report from the Yucatan times was claiming that in Cancun the authorities were holding a local cartel leader 'Dona Lety' and the Cancun violence was an attempt to retrieve her, which is denied by the state authorities.

Cancun under siege

A search on 'Dona Lety' turns up a lot of recent items but all but the translations by Chrome are fragmented.

Meanwhile back in Playa there are reports that Narco mantras claiming responsibility for the attack Blue Parrot were being hung around town.
Borderland Beat: Playa del Carmen: Zetas claim responsibility of Blue Parrot attack in narco message

I really hope this BS stays on the other side of the channel and Cozumel remains the safe Oasis it is.

We have known for a long time that drugs were rampant in Playa and when there are drugs, there are dealers, and there are cartels. Indeed, it is my understanding that a lot of the tourism on the mainland is narco tourism. In Cozumel there is not enough market to fight over, and the police know everybody.

Every time I walk down 5th Ave in PDC I have guys asking me if I want to buy drugs.

Not to offend anybody, but I've not once made a trip to Coz w/o someone asking me if I want drugs, usually at least once a day or more. I also enjoy it when they ask what kind of lady of the night I'd prefer when I'm walking with my wife lol.

Just hope the luck keeps up and nobody high up in the cartel takes up scuba diving and takes a shine to Cozumel and decides to build a compound on the island.

Last edited:
Not to offend anybody, but I've not once made a trip to Coz w/o someone asking me if I want drugs, usually at least once a day or more. I also enjoy it when they ask what kind of lady of the night I'd prefer when I'm walking with my wife lol.
In many years of going to Coz, Ive only been asked once about drugs, and never about hookers. And we do spend the afternoon and evenings walking around. Ive seen much more such activity here at home than in Coz. Just my 2 psi.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom