How long will it takes to go back to diving once you have broken ankle??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might better ask this in the dive medicine forum, along with some description of the break and what your physician predicts.

Tomorrow with a DPV. :wink:

How long before you can put pressure on it without a brace?
How long before you can return to normal activities or exercising?

Since I'm not a physician I would think it would be a few weeks after returning to normal exercise levels given the torque some fins can place on the ankles.

one of my friends just went thru this (actually broke both).

but the answer is "when your doctor tells you that you can". Nobody on ScubaBoard can give you a real answer to that question.

Usual time to rehab from a broken bone is 6 weeks. But, you can be pretty weak from the lack of mobility/exercise. Getting that back will add additional time.

Ankles are complex. So YOUR particular healing time can be different.
Like sheeper said, ask your Dr.

Last edited:
I've had divers on the boat with a freshly broken ankle. They were in pain.

After my break and knee damage it took six months for me to ease back, and then it was a roll off the boat no real walking with gear on and pulling off my gear in water and pulling it up...it kinda sucked but I was glad to be diving again!

I had a total left knee done 5 years ago. Was diving 30 days post op and did a full cave dive sidemount at 34 days post op. The surgeon said not to get the site wet. Guess I forgot to mention my dry suit.

I badly shattered my femur in a cycling accident, not my fault. Frankly, I have never fully recovered. But, I was able to return to swimming in about three months, cycling about nine months. I quit using a cane at about three months. In between I returned to diving though I had some difficulty with ladders (and still do). An ankle, probably within two months as long as a long walk is not required. Somewhat dependent upon age, weight, general fitness.

Two summers ago a lady dropped a tank on my big toe down in Key West. It broke it, yep. Confirmed with X ray. I dived, it hurt. I tried to walk it off but all I could do was hop around, but I kept diving. It is what it is.

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom