Best macro dive spots in South Africa? Any guides who love small animals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am wondering what you feel the best macro dive spots in South Africa are.

I have been rumbling around the internet reading ScubaBoard, checking dive op's FB photos and reading about marine bioregions but despite my efforts I don't feel I am making much progress. So I thought I would ask the people who already have the answer. :)

Of course every site has macro life, but from the info I have found it seems that many of the most famous South African locations are focused on pelagics and/or reefscapes.

I have looked at all the Sodwana Bay photos I could find, but macro critters do not seem to be the primary emphasis there (from what I could see).

I found these wonderful posts by @MermaidLaura and @seastung about Cape Town sites that sound just beautiful - is Cape Town the best macro diving or are there others who would like to chime in?
Wow... Top 5 dive sites in South Africa....
Steenbras Deep, Noble Reef and New Reef in Gordon's Bay (the other side of False Bay to Simons Town) - fabulous, unspoilt reefs, unusual marine life, macro climates all of their own, diverse, nudibranchs, lush...colorful - simply stunning!

I'm also Cape Town based. Atlantic side it's really hard to beat Star Walls: the longest wall in Cape Town, drops from 8m to about 36 in places and the wall itself is just covered with life: sumo crabs and nudibranchs all over... as one diver said, it's nudi wallpaper down thereShore dives I like Coral Gardens and man have we ever been finding interesting stuff at little old Long Beach -- three very unusual nudis for starters

I'll be bringing my own muck-honed searching skills, but if there are any local guides who LOVE macro animals, I would love to hear about them too. I particularly love nudibranchs and you have some gorgeous ones I see!

And not having dry suit experience, I also am wondering where the nicest 'warmest' temperate sites would be for critters.

I have dived 2 weeks in Tofo Mozambique which I felt was very good for macro, but I am eager to see what South Africa has to offer - especially animals which cannot be seen in Moz or the Coral Triangle.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I am wondering what you feel the best macro dive spots in South Africa are.

I have been rumbling around the internet reading ScubaBoard, checking dive op's FB photos and reading about marine bioregions but despite my efforts I don't feel I am making much progress. So I thought I would ask the people who already have the answer. :)

Of course every site has macro life, but from the info I have found it seems that many of the most famous South African locations are focused on pelagics and/or reefscapes.

I have looked at all the Sodwana Bay photos I could find, but macro critters do not seem to be the primary emphasis there (from what I could see).

I found these wonderful posts by @MermaidLaura and @seastung about Cape Town sites that sound just beautiful - is Cape Town the best macro diving or are there others who would like to chime in?

I'll be bringing my own muck-honed searching skills, but if there are any local guides who LOVE macro animals, I would love to hear about them too. I particularly love nudibranchs and you have some gorgeous ones I see!

And not having dry suit experience, I also am wondering where the nicest 'warmest' temperate sites would be for critters.

I have dived 2 weeks in Tofo Mozambique which I felt was very good for macro, but I am eager to see what South Africa has to offer - especially animals which cannot be seen in Moz or the Coral Triangle.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I realise this is a very old post. But without an answer, it really serves no purpose.

To answer your question, and based on what you are looking for (warm water, macro etc.) I would have suggested Sodwana Bay. Plenty of macro life as well as the pelagic life everyone talks about. As far as I remember it, there was a operator (I think it was Amoray diving - not sure if it is still the same owner, or maybe the son now running it) who was considering doing a PADI distinctive speciality for nudi's there. So you can see plenty there for sure.

Hope this helps the next person who might stumble across it.

Back
Top Bottom