Tokyo in Feb 20 - 25, want to dive Yonaguni and Okinawa if time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,
I will be heading to Tokyo with my wife in Feb, we are spending some time in Tokyo, then want to head down to Yonaguni for the Monument and hammerhead shark diving. Looks like we can start traveling down from Tokyo on Monday 20th late afternoon, we do not mind staying and diving in Okinawa for a day or two, but we want to make sure we can dive Yonaguni and the monument/hammerheads. We need to be back in Tokyo Friday night if we can make it.

First the flights seem hard to find or really expensive, the usual travel sites do not seem to be any good. On further research I found RAC travel do a flight to OKA from HND for $270 round trip PP. I am yet to discover flights from OKA to ONG.

1. So first question is advice on cheap flights, should I try and go straight to Yonahuni, then come back and finish up what time we have in Okinawa? What flight company, how much, how often, can I book in advance or do we need to wait till we get there? In which case how do we figure out hotels.

2. Okinawa diving, Rich Ruths shop seems to be closed now per this site, what is another good option?
Would there be a shop in Okinawa that would organize travel (flights) and diving at the Monument/sharks.
Obviously we need to be cognizant of diving and flying too!

Thanks for any help
Tony

I'd give Doug Bennett at reef encounters a call. He is the most reputable operation here on Okinawa and is the Yoniguni expert

I am running a trip in February from Tokyo but we are full and most diveshops in Yonaguni will be as advanced reservation was important to secure spots with the shops. It's high season.
JAL is the only flight from Okinawa to Yonaguni and might also be booked out. No direct flights from Tokyo so you have to go through Naha. That gives you vanilla air and other LCC options. We had to make two different bookings to get there. Flight scanner is your friend.

Our Friend Daisuke from Okinawa39 is also running a trip so check with him and he might able to sort this out for you.
OKINAWA 39ers Web - Diving in English for Okinawa, Kerama & Blue Cave

Jan from Pirhana Divers has also a shop on Okinawa mainland if you are looking for an English diveshop for some local dives.

Hope this helps. For diving around Tokyo, happy to help myself.

Back
Top Bottom