DCS? Bends? AGE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one-timer

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi There! Thanks for reading.
I did a scuba certification class with a friend in florida in August, 2016 and we were at 20 feet for about 20 minutes when something happened, my rental scuba BC fully inflated and shot me up to the top. Being that I was getting certified, I did the text book reading but didn't think too much of it even though I was always told "don't come up too fast". The computer freaked out and when I got to the top my left knee started hurting instantly. I asked the instructor and he said at 20 feet no one gets DCS/DCI/Bends, and not to worry. They do certification at max 30 feet so they don't have to worry about Bends. I took his word. Over the next 24-48 hours the left side of my body started going numb! and I was really tired, I had stiffness around my knee area and bottom of foot, everything's only happening on my left side. After some denial and googling I called DAN, and DAN said not to worry at 20 feet nothing happens, it was probably sun and heavy equipment etc. but I can go to the ER if I wanted to get checked out. The ER I went to listened to me and gave me some oxygen, but in an open mask, they weren't sure if I had anything related to the scuba diving, especially since ... 20 feet, that was what everyone's holding on to, yet I experienced all of these things. Long story - they sent me to a hyperbaric chamber because I came back the next day (48 hours) with more numbness symptoms (It's like your foot falls asleep when you lay on it, but instead of coming back after hitting it - it just stayed numb). They did not do a Table 6, but I did about 10 sessions at 2-3 hours each. 2-3 days after getting out of the hospital where they gave me hyperbaric sessions I had -get this- major left testicular pain. I couldn't believe it, I called the hyperbaric doctor and he said to see a urologist. The urologist didn't really see anything and said to wait 2-4 weeks to see if the pain goes away and said it may be vericocele. A month later I feel much better and go biking but notice pain in the bottom left glute area, I don't think much about it, but after my bike ride the pain gets worse and worse and hits my left testicle area again. My primary doctor, the urologist, etc don't know anything about scuba diving, and see nothing in tests. I now also start feeling pain in my hip area, pain in the left knee again, everything's always on the left side, I get pin pointed pain in the hand and bottom of foot... I've never had anything like this before in my life! Some of the symptoms sometimes subside, sometimes get stronger. I also feel pressure in one area at the top of my head. LOL I am lol'ing as I'm writing this because... what the heck, this is so weird. Now it is January, the pain point in my left glute is still there, I'm talking about a 2 out of a scale of 10 but I'm afraid to bike, I'm afraid to really do anything that puts pressure on that point, and now I have New pain in my lower abdomen and a New pin pointed pain in my thyroid, like it is a slight choke. I ran into someone that had the bends over the course of these months and he said for a period of a year he also had random areas in his body that just got painful and it took about a year or so for his body to get back to normal...

Guys/Gals this is all so weird to me. I've never been a hypochondriac, when I go to my primary doctor, tests are all clear and he and the hyperbaric chamber doctor say there are no bubbles sticking around or moving around (they go away or dissolve within a short period of time after they occur if they had occurred) and since my spine and brain (!) mri come out clear months after the episode (except for a bunch of herniated disks that I always had) there is no sign of AGE or DCS... so this is so weird to me, and it all started after I got shot up - 20 feet that day. I've never had these weird pains all over. What they say is that it could be the herniated disks got exacerbated by the quick shoot up of 20 feet and me struggling around as I got shot up as the herniation is on the left... so could this all be from that, they still don't know because the herniation does not seem to touch the nerves in the mri... so.... yeah and it would not explain symptoms above the disks such as pressure point in the head.

Sorry for the long post, but does any of this make sense, scuba-wise? Since all medical tests are negative I'm trying to not think about it since the pain is always there ever since that one day in August(!) I wish I did not take the class :( but also the pain is a 1-3 on a 10 scale that I can try to forget about it, which is what I'm constantly doing - but new pain areas emerge which is totally weird to me. Any thoughts would be highly appreciated! This is so weird to me and I'm just hoping that nothing else crops up. And hoping hoping that it somehow goes away. Thanks for listening. Oh - I saw a star fish and sea ray that day, that was nice :)

I'm no doc, but I do know that if you held your breath on the way up, from as little as six feet, you could have issues. I would seek another opinion from a well-qualified physician who really understands dive injuries.

Thank you for your response. I definitely held my breath for the 20 feet, I recall trying to breath more air in and ocean water was coming in through the mouth piece, so I may have exhaled just the ocean water that came in and tried to keep air in not knowing what was going on, then ended up at the surface with my left knee starting to hurt. My problem is I was told by DAN and other doctors that I've seen the best dive doctor in Miami. So I have nowhere to turn for another dive doctor because I don't know of any. I also saw a "sports medicine" doctor that is also a diver at the cleveland clinic in florida and he said he has never heard of "bends" from 20 feet. So my question is, how do I find another expert diving doctor, at least in the Miami area to consult with? I have insurance. These pains are so weird and they're not going away. If you have a recommendation, or where I can find a list of "diving" doctors, as they are not listed as such anywhere, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the MRI of the brain and spine, 3 months after the incident don't show "Bends" or "AGE" happened. And he said if either happened signs of it would show up, if I understood correctly, which is why he's relying on the "herniated disks" and I believe he said that there may have been "peripheral nerves" that may have been affected. But again, finding another doctor that is an expert diving doctor to speak to and review all the tests I've had would be great, just not sure where to find this doctor. Thanks! Much appreciated.

I am absolutely no doctor either, but as someone who has experienced a badly herniated disc, it sounds like you've aggravated your existing condition somehow. The sciatic nerve runs through the pelvis area and deep within your buttocks and can definitely cause pain in those areas. When I had mine (got it corrected immediately with surgery), I had random pain and numbness in various places as you describe as well, though definitely never on the top of my head.

If it were me, I would probably seek a second opinion on the status of your herniated discs and if that still comes back as an unlikely cause of your symptoms, then as Fisheater recommended, seek out the counsel of someone who specializes in dive medicine.

Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon! It must be incredibly frustrating and concerning to not know what's going on.

I definitely held my breath for the 20 feet, I recall trying to breath more air in and ocean water was coming in through the mouth piece, so I may have exhaled just the ocean water that came in and tried to keep air in not knowing what was going on,
I am a little confused about this. You said you held your breath all the way up, but you also said you inhaled and exhaled ocean water during the ascent. Can you describe this in more detail so I can understand what happened?

Thank you for your response. I definitely held my breath for the 20 feet, I recall trying to breath more air in and ocean water was coming in through the mouth piece, so I may have exhaled just the ocean water that came in and tried to keep air in not knowing what was going on, then ended up at the surface with my left knee starting to hurt. My problem is I was told by DAN and other doctors that I've seen the best dive doctor in Miami. So I have nowhere to turn for another dive doctor because I don't know of any. I also saw a "sports medicine" doctor that is also a diver at the cleveland clinic in florida and he said he has never heard of "bends" from 20 feet. So my question is, how do I find another expert diving doctor, at least in the Miami area to consult with? I have insurance. These pains are so weird and they're not going away. If you have a recommendation, or where I can find a list of "diving" doctors, as they are not listed as such anywhere, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

One-timer, I'm sorry to hear about this. This is an interesting case. I agree that it's extremely unlikely that you had decompression sickness. It's not impossible from that depth but the cases I've read about or heard of involved extreme bottom times and/or numerous ascents to the surface.

If you held your breath on the way up you'd be at risk of arterial gas embolism, but knee pain is not a symptom of AGE and your left-sided numbness presented much later than you'd typically see with AGE. Gas embolism symptoms usually appear suddenly and dramatically, immediately on surfacing or very soon after.

It's not clear from your post whether you experienced any relief with the hyperbaric treatment. Did your symptoms improve? If so, how did the improvement progress, e.g. was it all at once, stepwise after treatments, gradually over the course of the treatment? Do you still have any residual numbness? What about the left knee pain? What symptoms do you have at present, aside from the testicular/gluteal pain? The left testicular pain is probably unrelated to your diving incident. It sounds like you're on the right track with getting that checked out.

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
You asked for advise so here is mine.

Stop obsessing about dive injury or DCS. Deal with the symptoms you have now, the majority of which can be explained by herniated discs. If you haven't yet go to an orthopedist that specializes in spinal issues or a neurologist.

Next, talk to you PCP about anxiety management.

I'm not allowed to even play a doctor on tv, but. I know someone who had gastric surgery, and during the surgery someone damaged a nerve, resulting in "dropped foot" and partial loss of feeling and muscle control on the left foot. This is because all the nerves from the left leg run up the spine, and damage to those nerve bundles along the spine (even "at" the stomach level) can cause damage and false sensations in the left hip/leg/foot.

So one area to explore might be whether there is something going on, a pinched nerve or other "spinal" problem, affecting the nerves for the areas that are feeling pain. That might mean a neurologist to explore further.

DAN doctors at Miami (UM?) and Cleveland Clinic (presumably Weston?) Can you share names?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom