Jan. 21, 2017 Blueback Park (Tyee), Nanoose-area photos/report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice Mark !!

Had you continued to the left a bit further, you would have found a wolf eel den with a pair of resident wolf eels at about 60 feet. Down below that den, on the rock wall, there is another den, but it is hard to find. Usually occupied by a wolf eel, or an octopus.

Where were the wolf eels that were on eggs ? I was out there this morning, and the pair to the right were home in the den but I did not see any eggs.

Several ling cod around, but no egg masses yet.

Divegoose

I was looking for that 60' deep den (in a horizontal crack) on that dive, but the sandy gap before that wall was longer than I remembered from my last dive there years ago so we swam back. The den to the right was the one with the egg mass. It looked like a pale ball maybe 6" across and it seemed to not be attached to anything. They were curled around it.

There was a large mass of eggs in that den last year. Not sure if they hatched or died. Haven't seen any juvenile wolf eels around the area in a long time. I'll monitor the den for awhile to see if anything happens. I will also be watching for ling cod egg masses and reporting them, as the annual survey is about to begin.

Divegoose

Back
Top Bottom