Regulator Recommendation w/ Adjustable Inhalation Knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely look at HOG. I have a set of D3/Zenith regs, They are adjustable like you want, the price is right and all my tech diving buddies swear by them.

Hog D3/Zenith on my twin set back gas. D2's on my deco bottles. Deep deco wreck dives in Pompano quite frequently. Never had an issue or worry. Great regs.

Though I did get to see a Deep 6 in the wild yesterday. I was on a tech dive to the Hydro Atlantic and a gentlemen had one on his bail out tank. Very robust sleek looking reg.

As others have pointed out, there are clear advantages and benefits to having a user adjustable knob (technically known as DAC - Diver Adjustable Control) on 2nd stages particularly in Deep and Technical decompression diving.

I use Apeks exclusively. I own several Apeks US4/DS4 first stage and AT20 second stage for the use of my students since I don't want them to use resort rental regs that are abused and poorly serviced (if ever they are serviced at all). For my personal use when teaching or Tec diving, I use an Apeks FSR first stage and a XTX 200 and an ATX50 second stage. Both have Diver Adjustable Controls.

What most people (even Apeks Owners) don't realize about Apeks 2nd stages (XTX 50 and above), is that there is a Micro Spring Adjuster (MSA) enclosed within the external Diver Adjustable Control knob. The MSA allows you to further fine-tune the Work of Breathing (WOB) of Apeks 2nd stages. To access the MSA, you remove the rubber plug on the Adjustment Knob then use a 5mm Hex Key to fine-tune the reg.

Almost all second stage regs irrespective of brands are packaged in the factory to have a opening "cracking" effort of positive 1.0" to positive 1.5" on a Magnehelic gauge. In most regs, this is done by adjusting the Lever height by tuning the Crown that's on the Valve Spindle of the 2nd stage. The Apeks Micro Spring Adjuster, allows you to further fine-tune the cracking pressure to below 1" thus making the WOB easier at deeper depth where the gas density on Tec dives can be 5 to 11 times the surface gas density (think breathing pound cake :) ).

I'm trained to service Apeks regulators and do all of my Apeks regs servicing by myself when I have time. I use a digital Magnehelic gauge to fine-tune the 2nd stages. On the XTX 200, I bring the WOB down to 0.6" - 0.7" on the Magnehelic. The Apeks MSA makes this level of fine-tuning possible.

I switched away from my hog regs (zenith/d3)to apeks because I would get some resistance and sometimes a wet breathe when in some positions - I think it was when I would look straight up and maybe when vertical head down, I can't remember now. With my apeks regs I haven't had that experience at all.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom