Best dive location in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaque88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I do not have any solid plans yet, still just in the fetal stages of possibility. I'm considering a trip to Thailand from middle - late June of this year.
From what I have ascertained, that time of year brings heavy rains to the Phuket / Andaman Sea side of the country; and that the Gulf side will have good weather. BUT... it seems that all the well-healed divers here on ScubaBoard are less than enthusiastic (to put it mildly) about the Gulf side diving. So, my questions:
-Is the diving in the Gulf of Thailand really that poor? Or just compared to the Andaman?
-Which island would be the best choice, considering prices, value for your money, good diving (of course), and nice accommodations?

It appears that Ko Tao and Ko Phangan are the most popular with tourists??

I appreciate any input, advice, or warnings. :) Thanks!

Yes, the diving in the Gulf is poor.

No, there are often no heavy rains in June, just the occasional (heavy) shower, which hardly affects diving at all. Wind can be more of an issue.

I keep track of the weather and how it affects diving, for June the previous years see here.

For your average recreational diver, there are no more than a handfull of what might even begin to be considered decent dive sites anywhere in the Gulf.
Year round the Andaman sea offers far better diving. Having said that, of course the weather can be unpredictable and mess things up from time to time, but that applies anywhere you go.

Thank you. I do appreciate your responses. Does anybody have any recommendations about lodging and dive operators? I'm not really interested in a live-aboard. I'd much rather live & eat on land, and go out on a dive boat day-to-day.
Also, is diving prohibited in some areas of the Andaman Sea area during the month of June? Would hate to get there and then be told that I couldn't dive...

Koh Haa, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are all part of a national park that is closed that time of year. Further North Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock are closed.

That means that the main divesites that time of year are the many sites in the Phi Phi area, King Cruiser-Shark Point area and the Racha Islands.

Thanks! Really appreciate this information. (Must be nice to live there, stevenl!) :)

You could consider two options that nobody has mentioned yet. Though I haven't been there personally but have heard a lot of good stuff about them from my friends who have been there.

You could consider going to Koh Lipe or Similian Islands. They wouldn't be as crowded as Koh Tao or Ko Phangan and the marine life is slightly better.

You can read up more about them on this Quora thread: https://www.quora.com/Where-are-the-best-scuba-diving-spots-in-Thailand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom