Article: POP GOES THE EARS – HOW TO EQUALIZE WHEN DIVING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right and I was told by my instructor that I didn't need to hear an audible pop (sorry I failed to mention that), but I also didn't feel the pressure subside until about 15 minutes at 10 feet and even then it was still a bit uncomfortable. My O/W dive will be at 20+feet and I'm afraid that if 10ft was uncomfortable and very slow to equalize then 20ft will be worse.

Edit: I was also told that I could be over-equalizing, but I don't know if this is true because it felt uncomfortable pretty much all the time. I am not sure

John A Lewis, your link isn't going in the right direction. It actually takes me to a thread about servicing my own gear.

Sorry, can't seem to edit it, either.

I am not sure if I am using the correct thread to post this.

I am a very new diver and only recently got my pool training done with my O/W dive yet to go and scheduled in April. My fear is that I won't be able to equalize after a large amount of trouble during the pool time at 10ft. I tried every technique I could find to attempt to hear the "pop" from my ears to no avail at atmospheric pressure. The only times I can remember hearing my ears ever pop was when I had a cold and had to blow my nose (unfortunately harder than I should have). Is there something I am doing wrong, or should I seek further medical advice? I really don't want to be that guy who can't dive on my O/W dive certification when I have already invested plenty of time and funds into this amazing sport.
you can also ascend a few feet to equalize and then continue your descent. I did that diving the Yukon in California and it worked wonderfully.

You are right and I was told by my instructor that I didn't need to hear an audible pop (sorry I failed to mention that), but I also didn't feel the pressure subside until about 15 minutes at 10 feet and even then it was still a bit uncomfortable. My O/W dive will be at 20+feet and I'm afraid that if 10ft was uncomfortable and very slow to equalize then 20ft will be worse.

Edit: I was also told that I could be over-equalizing, but I don't know if this is true because it felt uncomfortable pretty much all the time. I am not sure

over equalizing isn't great, i used to do it, i was always equalizing and then nothing was happened and so i kept trying and then panicking but i realized it was fine and not uncomfortable so the reason i couldn't equalize was because i already had. if it is still slightly uncomfortable then just come up a few feet as the above poster stated. usually does the trick. also i found that equalizing periodically in the days leading up to dives makes it easier on the day

over equalizing isn't great, i used to do it, i was always equalizing and then nothing was happened and so i kept trying and then panicking but i realized it was fine and not uncomfortable so the reason i couldn't equalize was because i already had. if it is still slightly uncomfortable then just come up a few feet as the above poster stated. usually does the trick. also i found that equalizing periodically in the days leading up to dives makes it easier on the day
Ok. Stupid question and I apologize if I word this wrong. But how do you equalize prior to diving when there is no additional pressure. Again I mean no disrepect but you got my attention.

Due to density differences pressure builds up fast once you head goes underwater. If you are paying attention you can easily feel 1-2 feet of depth. That first 0-20 feet is dramatic and critical. So, you actually can start with a tad (JUST a tad) of positive pressure by equalizing above water just before you submerge. It can give you a little buffer, make that first few feet a little easier.

If you haven't equalized by 6 feet, you've gone too far and risk damage by forcing equalization.

(Note - some people simply have wide open Eustachian canals and may need to do little or seemingly nothing to equalize....it just happens. Others need to be careful, conscientious, and disciplined with possible pharmaceutical help if good technique is not adequate.)

Ok. Stupid question and I apologize if I word this wrong. But how do you equalize prior to diving when there is no additional pressure. Again I mean no disrepect but you got my attention.

no such thing as a stupid question :wink:

equalizing might be a misleading term but basically just pinch your nose and gently blow, you feel a change in your ears as you would underwater though as you are on land already it won't make any difference so you are essentially just going through the motions. but i find for whatever reason it makes it easier when i go diving. guess its cause you are opening the tubes or canals or whatever they are and the more you do it the easier it gets.

Do it the way you would during pressure changes on a flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom