Just bought some new gear from Scubatoys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys:
I don't really see why he would need to find a local shop that is a dealer for all those lines... When someone buys a regulator setup from us - we do annual service for $39.95 and parts are free for life. And as far as covering all those brands, the only thing he really needs to concern himself with is the 1st and 2nd stage - the Atomic. A dive shop does not "service" a computer... I did work for a lds here in Dallas that did... would charge a customer $60 to replace a user changable battery - it's what inspired me to open up my own shop and treat people right. If the battery goes out - you change it yourself - it the computer craps out - it's not like a LDS is going to pull out a soldering gun and swap some chips... it's getting mailed back to Aeris.

As far as the gauge, what service should it get? The only thing is if you want to change out the 2 little o-rings on the HP spool - and they are #3 o-rings whether the gauge is a cressi, atomic, dacor, mares, genesis, etc...

Same is true for a BC. The only thing that could possible need service is the power inflator - and they are all about the same... a few o-rings and a Schrader valve.... And life time warranty handled by the manufacturer.. Again - I don't know of any LDS that re-stitch BCs...

There is no problem mixing gear, in fact, I'd argue that most times you should. It is hard to believe that one manufacturer spins out the best Regulator, and also makes the most comfortable BC for you that has all the features you want, plus makes the dive computer that has the features you want at the price point you want etc.

If that was the case, no one should buy an atomic regulator (tested repeatedly as one of the best on the market) because they don't make a BC or computer. Don't buy a poseidon reg - they don't have a computer either...

And when service is needed - $39.95 and we turn regs in 3 days in house - and for this customer - he is 1 day shipping away. While I know of a LDS here in Dallas that will charge a $50 rush charge if you want it sooner than 10 days! And their rate is $89 for a rebuild plus over inflated parts prices...

So really, mixing brands, either with us, or with one or multiple dive shops is really not a problem - Get the gear you want with the features and price point that fit your needs.

I was looking at buying a regular from scubatoys and I live in Canada. I was wondering if there is any extra cost on top of the 39.95US besides the taxes? What would I be looking at for getting it shiped and having it shipped out and what sorta time frame?

Thanks

Kestrell:
Just bought some new gear from Scubatoys. I spoke with Larry for 30-40 minutes. He was cool, low/no pressure, and full of information. I really appreciated the time he took to get to know what I was looking for and more importantly, what I really needed.

Any way, bought the following;

Zeagle Ranger BC.
Atomic M1 Reg.
Dacor Viper Octo.
Cressi mini gauges (SPG & depth)
Aeris Elite Comp.

Good deal, good service, and will be shipped to my door in a few days, ready to go. What more could I ask for?

As soon as my wife gets her C-card I'll be calling Scubatoys again to set her up.

Need more shameless advertising? I bought a couple new tanks from them last months... quick service, no bs, no extra sales attempts like I get locally... I'm clearing out tons of old gear and replacing all of it and yes, I'll be going to ST for all my new gear!

Did that sound like a commercial? :D

scubatoys:
As far as local dive shops closing and people not being able to get their tanks filled... Don't think that is too much of a problem. All the shops are not going to close......

...deleted for space sake...

Someone once asked Willie Mays what makes a great outfielder. He said, "that's easy. A good outfielder knows where the ball is.... A great one knows where it will be."

Perfectly said Larry,

Al, no offense intended, but based on the fact that you post your air fill comment everytime someone mentions online sales I'd advise a business course. Simple economics dictate that if there is demand (air fills) someone will step in to fill that demand. As Larry said, "If a business can't figure out what the future brings, and mold their model accordingly, it is unfair to ask the consumer just to pay more money because that business man is incompetent."

scubatoys:
Thanks for the kind words Michelle! Yea, we weren't carrying the Morphos... had them for a bit, but was not too impressed, but they redesigned them, and when I saw yours, the Morphos Pro, I must admit, I thought it was pretty nice - so I've got another 50 heading toward me in various sizes. Let me know what he thinks about it after diving it!
I've been doing a lot of shopping this last month. I have done quite a bit of window shopping from my pc and will do some more, then will probably end up buying in the US online and spend the savings visiting for a month and bring my equipment back with me. Prices are high here.
Is this feasible? What are the real ramifications? Don't know, still have some shopping to do, but that's been my answer for a couple weeks now.
I get the argument that if I don't buy in Korea I won't get good service, and if I don't buy in the US I won't get service when I go back (something about manufacturers warantee coverage). The prices here seem outrageously high (everything imported apparently has a huge luxury tax added on) so what to do?
I mean besides checking that information out and trying to find better prices somewhere in this country.
Guess I'll talk to Larry before I take my final descision. I admire the way he said his piece then stepped back and let his customers tell the story for him.
Oh, and I'm writing this in hopes of getting feedback from you who have experienced my perceived difficulty. I need help in this search and descision.

Tom

Nomaster:
I've been doing a lot of shopping this last month. I have done quite a bit of window shopping from my pc and will do some more, then will probably end up buying in the US online and spend the savings visiting for a month and bring my equipment back with me. Prices are high here.
Is this feasible? What are the real ramifications?
Tom

I'd talk to Larry but there should be no problems with what you plan to do. Bear in mind however that you CANNOT take tanks on a plane. All other gear is good to go. I went to Africa a couple of years back and took some gear to a friend of mine. I had no problems. (I did claim that it was mine and not a gift.)

outlawaggie:
I'd talk to Larry but there should be no problems with what you plan to do. Bear in mind however that you CANNOT take tanks on a plane. All other gear is good to go. I went to Africa a couple of years back and took some gear to a friend of mine. I had no problems. (I did claim that it was mine and not a gift.)
Thanks, the tanks are about the only equipment I'm not too afraid to rent here; although I have heard that no one hydro's them.
From my experience and the input from others who have dove here, equipment maintenance is not practiced.
Where I dove two weeks ago I used one of the DM's equipment. The rental equipment wasn't all that missed periodic maintenance.
NOTE TO SELF:
Must have own equipment!

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom