Can I take the NAUI course and do my OWD at a PADI center?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, if her NAUI guy has the forms, she confirms with the PADI guys that they will do the OW on a referral basis and the NAUI guy will certify on that when she gets back then it should be good to go.

Again I STRONGLY encourage finishing courses with the same person. I'm not even a big fan of intra-agency referrals.

Just to summarize, PADI feels strongly that for a variety of reasons, the person (and therefore agency) that issues the certification should be the one who conducts the OW dives and can verify the diver's ultimate competence. For that reason, it does not OFFICIALLY support the universal referral program. It does, however, allow individual instructors and shops to participate in it provided that they understand the reasons that PADI does not support it and are willing to do it anyway. It is therefore imperative that you confirm that the shop will do it before you travel.

Just to summarize, PADI feels strongly that for a variety of reasons, the person (and therefore agency) that issues the certification should be the one who conducts the OW dives and can verify the diver's ultimate competence. For that reason, it does not OFFICIALLY support the universal referral program. It does, however, allow individual instructors and shops to participate in it provided that they understand the reasons that PADI does not support it and are willing to do it anyway. It is therefore imperative that you confirm that the shop will do it before you travel.
Thank you - I have sent an email to the shop to see if it's okay. If not, I guess I'll try to do it in Florida before my honeymoon. Just have to find the time, since I need at least 2 days to complete it and can't fly back right away.

Freaking work gets in the way of all the fun *eye roll*!

To my knowledge PADI does not participate in the Universal Referral Program. So I would be careful attempting to use PADI center to complete a NAUI course. While A NAUI would likely recognize a sign off by a PADI instructor, The PADI center is likely to give you a run around. Also suggest you finish with your home instructor.

To my knowledge PADI does not participate in the Universal Referral Program. So I would be careful attempting to use PADI center to complete a NAUI course. While A NAUI would likely recognize a sign off by a PADI instructor, The PADI center is likely to give you a run around. Also suggest you finish with your home instructor.
My home instructor is in NYC - I don't feel comfortable diving around here.. toxic and scary freezing cold water lol

A person can use the Universal Referral (UR) program to conduct the four open water dives with a PADI faciolity. I worked at a 5-Star PADI IDC center in the islands and we accepted many UR students. As a NAUI student you'll take the UR paper work with you and give it to the dive operator/resort/shop. A dive instructor conducts the four open water dives and signs off on it. Then you take the paper work back to your original instructor and he/she registers you with NAUI for your c-card.

The issue many students who start with an agency other than PADI, yet complete the four dives via the UR program, is bigotry, ignorance, lacking comprehension of other agencies, lame jokes, and the question of "why that agency and not PADI". Since I teach through PADI and NAUI I use PADI for referrals so that my students don't have deal with the stupidity. Several posts above have stated something important, be sure the dive operator will accept the UR.

There is one skill that tends to be neglected when conducting the UR and that is the rescue. The skill is not required in PADI's Open Water course. Many PADI instructors are not aware the rescue skill is a NAUI requirement in the Scuba Diver (Open Water). This in part has to do with the skills listed with the UR.

Many people have a good experience when using using UR. Good luck and have fun diving.

There is one skill that tends to be neglected when conducting the UR and that is the rescue. The skill is not required in PADI's Open Water course. Many PADI instructors are not aware the rescue skill is a NAUI requirement in the Scuba Diver (Open Water). This in part has to do with the skills listed with the UR.

Thank you - with regards to the part I quoted above - is there something that I in particular have to do to ensure that the PADI instructor will do the full NAUI requirements on my dives? I want to make sure everything is done the right way so I have no issues getting my certification.

bianalisa- I had my wife and two kids take a NAUI OW course here in the Dallas area last year, and they were totally fine with them doing their open water dives in Cozumel with a PADI Instructor. In fact, it was the dive shop here that recommended the instructor specifically and put me in touch with him.

bianalisa- I had my wife and two kids take a NAUI OW course here in the Dallas area last year, and they were totally fine with them doing their open water dives in Cozumel with a PADI Instructor. In fact, it was the dive shop here that recommended the instructor specifically and put me in touch with him.
Thanks Greg.
So the instructor in Dallas gave you the universal referral card, they did the dives in Cozumel, and the instructor there signed off on the referral, which you brought back to your local dive shop and they submitted it? No issues at all? Did they have to do the rescue requirement like mentioned above?

Thank you - with regards to the part I quoted above - is there something that I in particular have to do to ensure that the PADI instructor will do the full NAUI requirements on my dives? I want to make sure everything is done the right way so I have no issues getting my certification.
On the referral form is the list of all required skills, ensure the instructor is aware of this, also make sure that you keep track of the skills you have performed and point out any omissions. It's easy to forget something when doing a custom course like this so keep tabs on it yourself as well since you will be the one who is shortchanged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom