Can I take the NAUI course and do my OWD at a PADI center?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might want to price it also. At least in Hawaii, I've noticed that the (mostly) PADI shops charge 2/3rds as much for the referral dives as taking the whole course costs. You might find Florida a cheaper option (competition) also if you're going to be in the area before your trip

Is there some reason you have to be NAUI?

There must be 100?+ PADI instructors in NYC. I'd have to think all the shops have indoor heated pools also. Even if you don't have time to do the cert. dives they can just refer you to a PADI shop at your destination. A PADI shop near me offers referral recommendations based on shops they've visited/have a relationship with.

Also if you really don't have time, sign up for the e-learning and shorten the class time in NYC even further. I'm not sure you'd even have to go to a PADI shop at all in NYC if you did the e-learning dives on vacation - maybe you'd have to burn a day in class first while there for skills training - I really don't know exactly how that program works. Welcome to PADI eLearning

You're probably looking at 2-3 days on the referral - no one does all 4 dives the same day.

I'd start with the destination shop and work backwards. Or a local PADI shop. If they do e-learning - there's also a referral code they give you so they access your online records. I'm sure there's some part of your course fee they get also.

You might want to price it also. At least in Hawaii, I've noticed that the (mostly) PADI shops charge 2/3rds as much for the referral dives as taking the whole course costs. You might find Florida a cheaper option (competition) also if you're going to be in the area before your trip

Is there some reason you have to be NAUI?

There must be 100?+ PADI instructors in NYC. I'd have to think all the shops have indoor heated pools also. Even if you don't have time to do the cert. dives they can just refer you to a PADI shop at your destination. A PADI shop near me offers referral recommendations based on shops they've visited/have a relationship with.

Also if you really don't have time, sign up for the e-learning and shorten the class time in NYC even further. I'm not sure you'd even have to go to a PADI shop at all in NYC if you did the e-learning dives on vacation - maybe you'd have to burn a day in class first while there for skills training - I really don't know exactly how that program works. Welcome to PADI eLearning

You're probably looking at 2-3 days on the referral - no one does all 4 dives the same day.

I'd start with the destination shop and work backwards. Or a local PADI shop. If they do e-learning - there's also a referral code they give you so they access your online records. I'm sure there's some part of your course fee they get also.
There is no specific reason - it just happened to be the shop closest to my home, and so that's where I chose to take the course. I've already registered with NAUI, I didn't even realize it'd be such a big difference. I should have done more research but I figured same thing, different brand.

They did the pool and classroom work at Scuba Toys in Carrollton, TX which is a NAUI center. The instructor they had, Alan, set us up with Luis Cabanas in Cozumel who is a PADI instructor. Cozumel - Cozumel Diving / Cozumel Dive Shops / Adventure Discovery - Luis Cabañas (Luis has it listed right on his website that he takes referrals from other agencies) They took the classroom work in February and we went to Cozumel in March. It was really for the same reasons as you. Diving here in the Dallas area in a lake in February was just too cold and gross for my wife. They did work on rescue skills with Luis. We returned after the trip to Scuba Toys and they inspected their log books that Luis signed and they had their NAUI cards shortly after. It was totally hassle free. I would imagine the place your taking the lessons in NYC has many students do the dives in another destination, for the reasons you mentioned.

There is no specific reason - it just happened to be the shop closest to my home, and so that's where I chose to take the course. I've already registered with NAUI, I didn't even realize it'd be such a big difference. I should have done more research but I figured same thing, different brand.
Ok, then disregard most of what I posted...

Any chance of getting your money back from the NAUI shop?

I signed a contract so I'm assuming not, but this is literally the only dive shop near my house, and I don't feel comfortable taking online classes for something like this :/

It sounds like you already have place in mind to do the dives, just to make yourself feel better and not stressed out over it, call them and make sure they are fine with the NAUI referral.

It sounds like you already have place in mind to do the dives, just to make yourself feel better and not stressed out over it, call them and make sure they are fine with the NAUI referral.
I sent an email.. if I don't hear back in a day or so, I'll give a call. Thanks!

I'll also add, the reason they did the lessons with Scuba Toys is that they were the only place I found here in Dallas where they actually "teach" the academic material and not just push the online work like all the PADI places here that I enquired to did. I got my PADI OW certification back in 1985 when there wasn't "online" and felt my kids especially, would get more out of a real classroom experience than online/DVD. I started with trying to find a PADI class for them since that's what I did, but the NAUI program at Scuba Toys seemed to be the best fit for what I wanted them to have, and they were totally fine with making the referral for the dives. They do it all the time as many folks don't want to do murky lake dives which is all that's around Dallas.

Last edited:
Another option would be to drop the NAUI course and do the Padi online training and complete the dives when on your honeymoon. However i would still recommend that you get certified before you go.

OP what city do you live in?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom