Fourth Element Proteus II Wetsuit Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to buy a 5mm wetsuit, and came across a new wetsuit Proteus II from Fourth Element.
From what I read, it appears that Fourth Element's wetsuits are higher end wetsuits, and their new Proteus II is supposed to be a very good and durable wetsuit (at least based on the manufacturer's description).

However, I could not find any independent reviews of this new wetsuit, and it is almost impossible to find it in a scuba shop. I've contacted probably twenty shops in Canada (Ontario) and in the USA and no one had them in stock.

If anyone could share their experience with this wetsuit or a link to their reviews, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll let you know how it goes. I liked the cut and the styling and the press release type "reviews" and bought it blind from DRIS. Given that I ordered a 3mm, I expect that fit shouldn't be as big a deal as compared to a thicker suit, but will keep you posted.

Okay. I actually ended up buying a 3-mm wetsuit Proteus II. I like a simplistic look of it. I did not feel that I am a billboard advertising a manufacturer with huge letters. It feels quality, and it is definitely much warmer than my regular 3-mm wet suit. For me (a cold-blooded guy), it was good for most days (at bottom temperature of 79-80F), and only during a night dive (75F) I wished I had something warmer.

The only problem I had is with the he hydrolock inner neck seal, which was extremely tight around my neck. I think, it was even restricting blood supply to my head, so I started to stretch that neck seal using an ice bucket overnight. Please see attached photo how I did it.

Proteus II-hydrolock inner neck seal.jpg

Bought mine two months ago and just finished a week diving in Egypt. As with any other suit the fit is most important mine fits great. I like the hydrolock neck seal, it is not too tight for me.
I have the 5mm type and in water of 21 Celsius and over one hour diving, I was still very comfy (even more than in my 7mm). The suite is relatively expensive, but the quality is great.

One point to consider is the inner hydrolock system is glued to the suit. I can imagine it will tear because of the tention after some time. For now it looks solid.

Bought mine two months ago and just finished a week diving in Egypt. As with any other suit the fit is most important mine fits great. I like the hydrolock neck seal, it is not too tight for me.
I have the 5mm type and in water of 21 Celsius and over one hour diving, I was still very comfy (even more than in my 7mm). The suite is relatively expensive, but the quality is great.

One point to consider is the inner hydrolock system is glued to the suit. I can imagine it will tear because of the tention after some time. For now it looks solid.
Many thanks for your feedback, leviathann.

I have had the Proteus 1 for 15 or so months, no issues at all. This wetsuit keeps me nice and warm, I do like the neck seal I have never found it tight. All seams and panels are still perfect. I also found this suit to be a better shape then my previous scubapro suit, I'd recommend it for sure!

I know someone who has had their proteus 1 for 3ish years and is a dm in egypt so does 20ish dives a week.

I also have one and love it but you need to use neoprene socks to get these on.

Okay. I actually ended up buying a 3-mm wetsuit Proteus II. I like a simplistic look of it. I did not feel that I am a billboard advertising a manufacturer with huge letters. It feels quality, and it is definitely much warmer than my regular 3-mm wet suit. For me (a cold-blooded guy), it was good for most days (at bottom temperature of 79-80F), and only during a night dive (75F) I wished I had something warmer.

The only problem I had is with the he hydrolock inner neck seal, which was extremely tight around my neck. I think, it was even restricting blood supply to my head, so I started to stretch that neck seal using an ice bucket overnight. Please see attached photo how I did it.

View attachment 395353

Hi Laval - just curious if the stretching helped to loosen the neck seal. Is it comfortable now? I just got the Proteus II 3mm as well, it was tight on the neck (can feel my adams apple being restricted) but my face wasnt turning red, and the staff told me it will loosen abit with time.

Hi bobsby - I had two more diving trips since my post (one in April and one in July). I did not do any more 'stretching' of the hydrolock neck seal anymore, and I felt comfortable with the neck seal.
Best regards.

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say thank you for the great tip Laval of stretching the neck seal. Mine was choking me (just bought the 3mm Proteus II from Divestock) but otherwise fit great (getting my feet through the leg openings was a nightmare though). I let it stretch for 2 days and it's now much more comfortable to wear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom