2 knot current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Well sir, we had a fella here on Scuba Board a while back who could dive in a 6 knot current and hold his own... according to him.
Yep...But thats when he is not setting any world records or diving in 12 ft sea's.

He can only do so much at one time.

jonnythan:
I SWEAR it wasn't me.
You shouldn't swear at all...you might burn for it

Was this the california guy with the custom painted pony tanks? He was quite a hoot.

jonnythan:
Was this the california guy with the custom painted pony tanks? He was quite a hoot.
CJ

Soggy:
300 ft/min...swimming the length of the Doria in around 2 mins. Or, the length of the Cornwall in 30 seconds. In a 3 knot current, everyone is going backwards, I don't believe anyone could make headway against that in SCUBA.
Well, hmm. I think it was maybe 2 and a little bit and we weren't going directly against it - no way, no how. Angling aganst it, yes.
"Tacking" about 45 degrees into it was plenty hard enough and I was *very* glad it was shallow. Current is confoozling - you ask n people and get n different answers. I gave up trying to find a consensus on diving current a few dives ago (Wreckwriter described a moderate Duane current as being about a half knot, but that was one of few reasonable answers I ever got from a fellow diver - i think most are most are overestimated by about 2X :/ )
I now prefer the "wee bit", "lots but still swimmable", "better be in good shape", "too much to swim into without overbreathing reg" and "mask-ripper" empirical scale. YMMV (literally :rolleyes: )

I can definitely hold my own in a 6 knot current...no doubt. Just give me something twice my size planted real good on the bottom that i can press my whole body against.

:)

Uncle Pug:
Well sir, we had a fella here on Scuba Board a while back who could dive in a 6 knot current and hold his own... according to him.

He was probably holding his own to prevent the 6knot current from ripping it loose. Better he hold his than mine :eyebrow:

How fast does a current have to be to pull the mask away from your face when you turn to look back? A RIPPING current at the Speigel Grove would pull my mask away from my face when I would check on my buddy. This was while descending the bouy line. Just curious.

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom