Trouble catching my breath at the beginning of dive .... after 10 yrs of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also agree that it sounds like anxiety. I have had the same issues diving from a boat. I get dry mouth and struggle equalizing. I'm 56 so maybe it's a sign of age and that life insurance our spouses have on us!

If your regular doctor can't find any physical problems maybe see a psychologist? Many seem to think it's anxiety, which makes sense, but I don't know what qualifications those saying that have.

I'm going to weigh in on bcd too small. :) of course this is contingent upon how much actual weight you've gained, especially around your middle. How often do you dive in a year? I'm basing this on your breathing being fine at depth. As you know, we can often snug up the bcd again at depth which means it's not as tight at depth and therefore not squeezing on you like at the surface.

If on the other hand, you haven't gained any weight and have had no change in body proportions, I'll change my vote to anxiety. It makes no sense that's the weirdness of anxiety.

But overall importance is as others have said, go see a doctor for full testing.

do you feel short of breath: on the boat, (anxiety) first immersion into the water, (snug fitting gear on torso) or only after exertion,(cardiovascular issue). None of these can be dismissed, but it helps to narrow down exactly when it comes on. You could Try renting gear in a larger size for a pool snorkel, just to rule that one out.

I would think that if it is a cardiorespiratory problem, you should get about equally short of breath doing all kinds of activities with equal effort. This does not seem to be the case. That does not mean you shouldn't see your physician to check this out or talk to DAN

Why would you have significant anxiety diving after 10 years of experience? I don't suppose you have had any events that have caused you to become less confident?

The equipment suggestion is interesting but why would this only be a periodic problem at the surface. I assume you are not aware of wetsuit or BC tightness before your dives.

This does not seem consistent with immersion pulmonary edema, though the thought did cross my mind. Usually occurs at depth or upon surfacing. If you decide to discuss with DAN, you could ask about this Immersion Pulmonary Edema | The Heart & Diving - DAN Health & Diving

Best of luck and good diving

Last edited:
Have your blood pressure checked. That was my very first symptom of hypertension. It was not duplicated in any other aspect of my life. It only occurred immediate after jumping off the boat. It occurred a half dozen times and I was truly both baffled and concerned.

That was after decades of diving. Anxiety and equipment fit were not the issues.

Its now perfectly controlled and zero problems since. Reasonable cardiovascular fitness and equipment fit is also important, but get your blood pressure checked as an easy starting point.

Agree with RyanT. I had a buddy start exhibiting these "anxiety" symptoms and never payed much attention. He exercised daily and was in excellent shape. Come to find out he was going into Afib. I guess the stress of diving triggered it. He is on a med and no more high anxiety dives. Go get a medical checkup and make sure its not something sinister.

My trouble catching my breath happened to me after a long walk in full gear for a shore dive in the cold with a very snug hood. The hoid is very constrictive and had me out of breath even after stopping for a minute to get my fins on before splashing. The water was also colder the I had ever been in up to that point.

I decended to the bottom at 20 fsw and just couldn't catch my breath. After a minute I thumbed the dive and climbed back up on the rocks. After catching my breath (I probably removed the hood) I then adjusted my reg for easier breathing (I have an adjustable second) and feeling better resumed the dive for 60 minutes without issue.

I suspected CO retention at the time but after reading about cold water diving, cold water shock may have been a cause. I will not rule out any of the above suggestions either. I do note that whenever I wear the hood my breathing is affected above water but is fine once under. In this case it was on for quote a bit longer while walking down to the water.

My trouble catching my breath happened to me after a long walk in full gear for a shore dive in the cold with a very snug hood. The hoid is very constrictive and had me out of breath even after stopping for a minute to get my fins on before splashing. The water was also colder the I had ever been in up to that point.

I decended to the bottom at 20 fsw and just couldn't catch my breath. After a minute I thumbed the dive and climbed back up on the rocks. After catching my breath (I probably removed the hood) I then adjusted my reg for easier breathing (I have an adjustable second) and feeling better resumed the dive for 60 minutes without issue.

I suspected CO retention at the time but after reading about cold water diving, cold water shock may have been a cause. I will not rule out any of the above suggestions either. I do note that whenever I wear the hood my breathing is affected above water but is fine once under. In this case it was on for quote a bit longer while walking down to the water.

Here's your problem;

Vagus nerve - Wikipedia

Have your blood pressure checked. That was my very first symptom of hypertension. It was not duplicated in any other aspect of my life. It only occurred immediate after jumping off the boat. It occurred a half dozen times and I was truly both baffled and concerned.

That was after decades of diving. Anxiety and equipment fit were not the issues.

Its now perfectly controlled and zero problems since. Reasonable cardiovascular fitness and equipment fit is also important, but get your blood pressure checked as an easy starting point.

Huh. It is the presumed mechanism for SIPE in triathletes: water cools you down, capillaries constrict, blood pressure in major vessels goes up. I guess if you're borderline hypertensive, that could push the BP enough for you to feel it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom