1st Fiji trip - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I went to Fiji last Sept./ Oct. We stayed at Wananavu and dove the Bligh waters. Since we're on the east coast of the US, we've dived mainly in the Caribbean and were very excited to go to Fiji. I have to tell you that both of us were disappointed with the diving in the Bligh waters. First of all, you need to know that the boat trip to get there from the resort is about an hour. Our reaction after the first few dives was if we had known it would be like that, we wouldn't have bothered to make the looong trip to Fiji. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but we honestly didn't find it more interesting than Little Cayman or Saba. But our second week was at the Sau Bay Resort off Taveuni, which is tiny but delightful. There we dove on the Rainbow Reef, which was fantastic.Couldn't recommend it more. See my Fiji trip report for more details. Good luck.

That's basically my biggest fear - it's a long flight (especially with a 2 year old). If the diving is not fantastic, I'll be disappointed. By fantastic, I mean: great viz and healthy reef. I really am not disappointed with Cayman in any way. Yes, I know the reef life is not what it was years ago, but the diving is easy, the water warm, and the viz good.

Based on the research I've done since this post, if we do Fiji, I will Taveuni and likely Paradise Taveuni because of the shore diving. Does Sau Bay have shore diving?

That's basically my biggest fear - it's a long flight (especially with a 2 year old). If the diving is not fantastic, I'll be disappointed. By fantastic, I mean: great viz and healthy reef. I really am not disappointed with Cayman in any way. Yes, I know the reef life is not what it was years ago, but the diving is easy, the water warm, and the viz good.

Based on the research I've done since this post, if we do Fiji, I will Taveuni and likely Paradise Taveuni because of the shore diving. Does Sau Bay have shore diving?

Your research should have shown you that that review of Bligh water dive sites is highly unusual.

The issue with bligh water dives isn't the dives, it's not getting to dive them!1) Live-a-boards specifically target great dive sites not bad ones, after all that's the point of a live-a-board you can go to places not easily accessible. Case in point - live-a-boards dive the bligh waters. 2)They are on the short list of the top ten best dive sites of Fiji. 3)The names alone are famous, known all over the world, they didn't get there by being so-so dive sites.

Just to add, maybe it's relevant - about viz, you listed 'great viz' as a criteria. Sometimes people don't realize it until they think about it for awhile but great dives where people see amazing masses of sea life typically don't have 'great viz' always associated with them, because to get those great numbers of sea life you have a circle of life that starts with lots of nutrients in the water which isn't great for viz, remember Fiji is the soft coral capital of the world and those guys have to eat! You might only have 30-40 feet of viz in waters that have crazy schools and huge varieties of life. Hope some of this is helpful.

Last edited:
There is no shore diving at Sau Bay but it is a great place and very close to the rainbow reef. I have been to Paradise 3 times and it is fantastic but the divng is not as good as the rainbow reefs although they do go there quite often. They have unlimited shore diving there that is OK. Do not feel you have to limit yourself to one place as it is not hard to travel between places and they all talk to each other and can arrange transfers. Last time I was there I went to Savusavu to do Namena and the hammerheads wth Korosun dive and then got a taxi up to get picked up by boat to Sau Bay and then across to paradise.

As garycrano says, Sau Bay has no shore diving. However, there were a number of people there when we were, including divers, who said the snorkeling off the shore was great. We never tried that because we dove every day. It's such a small place that you might have the dive master all to yourself, as we did. We would go back there in a heart beat.

The family and I visited Fiji in July/August of this past year. We spent roughly half the time at Waidroka Bay and the latter half at Wananavu. Both resorts have their quirks: Waidroka is on the Coral Coast and is smaller, very family oriented, and heavily surf focused with a more minor focus on diving. You eat family style with other guests. Wananavu was bigger--guests didn't really freely mingle with each other--and much more upscale--perhaps 3 stars. The food was better at Waidroka, hit or miss at Wananavu. For some reason beverages are not included in the meal plans at either resturant...at Wananavu I spent $212 on iced tea at dinner and lunch over 4 days. There is more to do around Pacific Harbour--which is where Waidroka is--zip lining, river boat things, etc. Wananavu is pretty far from everything other than Wananavu. That side of the island was also beaten up by Winston-- the shop we stopped at prior to getting to Wananavu had just gotten electricity back the day prior and there was plenty of housing damage. I would suggest renting a car and having the freedom to drive around, visit shops, etc. Both resorts had local interaction that I highly recommend--in Waidroka we visited a school and at Wananavu we went to a local village.

Bottom line up front--IMHO the diving was not worth the flight from the US. At waidroka the highlight was the Beqa shark dive--which had a large assortment of sharks including some very large Bulls--but I didn't get to see a Tiger. (The next day while I was out ziplining, however, there was a Tiger that was hovering above the group for 30 mins--and they had to push him away...) We dove Pipe (2x)--which is right on a surf break so it way like diving in a quicksilver video--that was cool, 7 sisters off Yanuca island that was a set of ok pinnacles-nothing spectacular, Turtle Head (2x) pinnacle which was nice but not spectacular, The Pond--which was inside the local reef and was a nice little training type area, a shore dive off Yanuca in about 6 ft of water when we were just fooling around (which was honestly very pretty and had the most colorful coral)(worth noting that there is no beach at Waidroka--there is an hour boat ride to Yancua), and Fantasea --where we swam around a small pinnacle, into heavy current on one side, drifting back on the other, for 60 mins. The dive guides here were a couple named Warren and Shelly--they were fairly nice--and the boat drivers and sometimes guides Ponti and Vili were also pleasant.

From Wananavu I done Purple Haze, Wheatfields 2x, Heartbreak Ridge Pinnacle and Black Magic Mountain. Wheatfields was by far the best of the dive areas with some resident sharks and schools of spanish mackerel. The boat rides were somewhat long (and the boats are aluminum in both places--so they don't flex all that much). I could see storm damage at most of the sites, visibility was good (but not Yap or Palau crystal clear), and most people were cold (although I am fat so I was comfortable). The local staff--Jese and Josh (and a lady whose name I didn't get) were great--very friendly, accomodating, helpful, etc. There is an American couple that runs the op-forgot their names--he was nice and did most of the shore based work & she came out on the boat but seemed a touch cold and I wasn't sure what her purpose was other than to take up a seat. I asked a few times about a 3 tank or afternoon dive and there was 0 effort taken to set it up (I would have chartered the boat for just me).

If I were going to Fiji strictly to dive, I think I would have been disappointed that I spent the time an money. Fiji is also not the prettiest island--Hawaii is much prettier and places like Yap are much more "native." Palau or Yap, for the time investment, are much prettier and have much better diving. I would rate the dives I did in Fiji as being a few notches above the diving in Nassau, Bahamas. The people of Fiji, however, are the friendliest we have encountered on any island, anywhere. We went as a family vacation and traveled with our 18yo daughter and 6 yo son. The little guy like Waidroka better--it is much more family oriented--even to the point of having an evening volleyball game where guests and staff (and local kids that seem to come out of the jungle) throw down.

If I were to go again, on Viti Levu: I would spend more time doing the shark dive. I would rent a car and take myself around--especially in the Pacific Harbour area. I would plan some activities e.g. the river cruise far ahead as some of them were booked solid. I would stock up on drinks and snacks. I would not allow (beg) the spouse to not buy handicrafts because the airport has the same store with the same stuff for the same price. I would not eat the curry roti from the guy selling it on the side of the road who pulled it out of an igloo cooler (although that just impacted the Disney leg of the trip in California a few days later).

More importantly I would go to one of the other islands that offer much better diving. I heard wonderful stories about the Namena reserve from people in the Fiji Air lounge coming home and it made me jealous a bit.

I'll try to find more pictures at some point.

Edit--one of the pics say Yanuca.jpg--I think that that is actually on the the main island of Viti Levu

Attachments

• Wananavu View.jpg
    Wananavu View.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Yanuca.jpg
    Yanuca.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 94
Finally, we would like to bring our 2 year old with us, but we would both like to dive. Is there childcare available at the resort? I'm cautious of who we leave him with since he's only been with us and our parents. But, we do want to dive. Any safety concerns with a babysitter to watch him during dives?
No experience with this at Wananavu. At Waidroka there were lots of babies, toddler, and little guys. The Fijian people seem to really enjoy children--the ladies I saw watching the kids were the best I have ever seen anywhere. People had 0 qualms about leaving kids a few months old with them. My little guy was with them for a day and didn't want to leave them. It was also really cheap.

My husband and I went to Fiji last Sept./ Oct. We stayed at Wananavu and dove the Bligh waters. Since we're on the east coast of the US, we've dived mainly in the Caribbean and were very excited to go to Fiji. I have to tell you that both of us were disappointed with the diving in the Bligh waters. First of all, you need to know that the boat trip to get there from the resort is about an hour. Our reaction after the first few dives was if we had known it would be like that, we wouldn't have bothered to make the looong trip to Fiji. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but we honestly didn't find it more interesting than Little Cayman or Saba. But our second week was at the Sau Bay Resort off Taveuni, which is tiny but delightful. There we dove on the Rainbow Reef, which was fantastic.Couldn't recommend it more. See my Fiji trip report for more details. Good luck.
where your trip report?

For what its worth - my son and I went diving from Beqa Island (just off the main coast of Fiji), stayed at the local resort there, and dove like crazy. Boat and shore diving, we loved it. Of the 20+ people in our group, no one did more dives than we did. The dive op was very accommodating. We did a two tank dive in the morning, then took extra tanks on that boat and jumped from the boat and dove to the shore. Then we would do an afternoon shore dive and a night shore dive. Every day. Five great dives daily, great food, awesome villagers and wonderful island tours. I did a midnight shore dive one time, loved it. My son (13 at the time?) had some of the best diving of his life. I highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom