Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting the video of Rob's sister interview.

Some interesting info from the video:
1. He is wearing dry suit. So, he could be floating somewhere. I hope they find him soon.
2. His buddy is a dive instructor.

As of sunset today the search was still on. I took a boat from Port Largo to the Spiegel Grove & then to Molasses reef & back to Port Largo, doing a zig-zag search. Two other Rainbow Reef boats searched offshore of Molasses reef & another south of Molasses out past Snapper Ledge.

I saw at least 2 helicopters & several other boats searching -- lots of VHF radio chatter coordinating search areas.

As of now afaik he has not been located.

I wonder how bad gas (thinking CO here) would affect a ccr diver on a flat profile dive. Theoretically, there would be minimal dil added to the loop, therefore a limited amount of CO, probably all absorbed eventually and bound to hemoglobin. Would that minimal (in terms of volume, not dose) amount be enough to kill a diver?

CO would kill both of them on the bottom. As they descend they have to add dil (which is presumably where the CO comes from) and the ambient pressure would increase their pCO just like it increases ppO2 and the highest concentration and largest effects would be on the bottom, also once they're on the bottom they wouldn't be touching the dil much assuming a roughly squarish profile. Same logic for pretty much any other contaminant in the gas. I think it works the same with CO in the O2 bottle although most of the volume of O2 is likely to be used on the ascent, still you have to use O2 on the bottom so the pCO would increase there as well. Also if they did a prebreathe of any sort and checked their O2 increased then the loop would have become contaminated on the surface and then when they descended it would have increased the pCO of the loop.

I believe this was also the third dive of the day according to the reports? Which makes it even more unlikely its gas contamination.

So to get this due to gas contamination it has to look something like both of them swapped tanks for the third dive. They both had been diving tanks that were fine, and both swapped to contaminated tanks. They both failed to do any prebreathing off of the contaminated tanks on the surface. The contaminant was in the O2 bottle not the dil so it didn't hammer on them on the descent as they were adding dil, but gradually they felt worse on the bottom, then thumbed the dive, and as they flushed with O2 on the way up they spiked the contaminant levels and both of them became even more symptomatic. Which just doesn't seem plausible.

More likely they were doing three deep dives and both of them did seriously insufficient deco on the third dive and both had type 2 neuro-DCS symptoms.

Its possible that they both went hypoxic, but I'd expect that to look more like they ran out of all their O2 and both wound up deco'ing on 10/70 bailout, and then both of them attempted to blow-and-go to the surface from 20 feet.

EDIT: another possibility might be that they both pushed their scrubbers out too long and with similar enough physiology and identical units they both may have had CO2 hits at the same time (3rd dive the dave without swapping canisters?). Of course that requires both of them to fail to bailout. Seems a bit unlikely, although if they bailed out then it might have turned into the hypoxic scenario above with both CCRs failed and inadequate bailout gas. But I think omitted deco is still much more plausible than anything else (see: Chris and Chrissy Rouse).

I wonder how bad gas (thinking CO here) would affect a ccr diver on a flat profile dive. Theoretically, there would be minimal dil added to the loop, therefore a limited amount of CO, probably all absorbed eventually and bound to hemoglobin. Would that minimal (in terms of volume, not dose) amount be enough to kill a diver?

CO in the loop would be VERY bad. The partial pressure of CO at the surface could be minimal but at 220 feet it would be multiplied by about 7.5 times and would be deadly.

I can't remember if it was in one of the news links or if was in the video of his sister's interview, but I believe he gave the OK sign to the boat when he surfaced. That doesn't sound like someone who knows he has a problem, right?

The following video from one of Rob's friends gives a bit more info: he was using a friend's rebreather, had a new camera system & had never gone so deep before. None of these may have contributed but any one of them could have been a factor. Tyler MacLeod, Alexandra Stewart Give Update On Search For Missing ‘Sharkwater’ Director Rob Stewart

Thanks for the posting.

The 2 things (using friend's rebreather & never gone so deep before) & being the 3rd dive of the day seem like a recipe of trouble.

I would not rule in or rule out massive DCS hits... but still it's too early to speculate and while the window is closing rapidly let's hope he is indeed on the surface floating.

Normally, I would agree, but as far as I know, the second diver who collapsed on the boat is not showing any signs of DCS...

I also just watched an interview with his parents and they both said that the third dive was to recover the anchor, so I think it's possible that Rob and his buddy simply over-breathed their units. Having said that, I find it really unlikely they would have carried the anchor up... that would be stupid. They would likely either hump it to the sand, or stick a bag on it and send it up. Both of these exercises can drastically increase breathing work at 225' - 250' and the unit couldn't scrub it. Combine that with possibly breathing a hypoxic mix and things get ugly...

I've only met Rob a few times at events in Toronto but he struck me as the real deal... It's going to be a long night for a lot of people. Hopefully, one of them is Rob.

There is a long article by, iirc, Lamar English, about a bad dilutant fill he got. Because you don't use much dilutant per dive you get to commulatively poison yourself on multiple dives.

Ah, found it. It's in a members only portion of CDF.
Cave Diver's Forum

There is a long article by, iirc, Lamar English, about a bad dilutant fill he got. Because you don't use much dilutant per dive you get to commulatively poison yourself on multiple dives.

Ah, found it. It's in a members only portion of CDF.
Cave Diver's Forum

Wow, scary, thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom