First Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the AquaLung i450 is the same as the Oeanic Geo 2.0, but, again, with one of the algorithms stripped out.
upload_2017-2-10_16-27-42.png

The i450T is the OCi. All the Aqua Lung computers have just PZ+ and not DSAT

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-10_16-27-15.png
    upload_2017-2-10_16-27-15.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 32
So sound like I'm pretty sold on the Geo. I wish I could buy a Shearwater but I also need to buy a BC and regs. So here's another newbie question that I know has been debated. Which should I buy first, computer, BC or regs? I know which ones I want but can only afford to do one at a time. If I could buy one and then have to wait a few months, which should go first?

1. Computer

2. Regulator with SPG

3. BC

But there is rationale for all possible permutations.

Note: If you buy the regulator before BC and want to go out diving, you will have to remember to rent the LP hose for the BC you are renting :)

1. Computer

2. Regulator with SPG

3. BC

Note: If you buy the regulator before BC and want to go out diving, you will have to remember to rent the LP hose for the BC you are renting :)

That would be my order, as well. I would just go ahead and buy a LP inflator hose for my reg set. Most, but not all, BCs use the same inflator connection, so I would get an LPI that fit the most common BC and then when ready, I would buy a BC that accepted the same. I would probably buy used, but a new one would come with the correct LPI hose.

1. Computer

2. Regulator with SPG

3. BC

That would be my order, as well. I would just go ahead and buy a LP inflator hose for my reg set. Most, but not all, BCs use the same inflator connection, so I would get an LPI that fit the most common BC and then when ready, I would buy a BC that accepted the same. I would probably buy used, but a new one would come with the correct LPI hose.

My order as well. In the meantime, experiment and figure out what kind of BC you want

Yes, by the standards of PADI, SDI, SSI, NAUI, GUE, and any other U.S. agency that I know of, recreational diving does not include any decompression other than that which occurs during a normal, continuous ascent and an optional safety stop. Diving that has mandatory deco stops during the ascent is classified as technical diving.

I specified U.S.-centric because it is my understanding that at least one European agency (CMAS?) has a level of certification that includes training on limited decompression that is still classified as "recreational" and not "technical".

And, yes, as far as I know, any recreational-oriented dive computer will still calculate deco stops if you stay down past your NDL. But, I would not recommend to anyone to use one of those if their intention is to actually do decompression dives. The reasons why are too long and OT for this thread. There is a reason why those computers' manuals generally tell you that if you exceed your NDL you should do the stops that the computer tells you and then stay out of the water for at least 24 hours afterwards.

Thanks, I think I got you.
I guess it's no different here in Europe.
"Mild deco", the grey area of rec diving. ;-)

I may be wrong, but I think BSAC may offer only a simulated deco dive at the recreational level. It might be up to mentors to turn this into practically diving at a level of light deco. It has been difficult for me to understand prior posts on this topic. Let's hear from someone from BSAC and or CMAS, thanks

Thanks, I think I got you.
I guess it's no different here in Europe.
"Mild deco", the grey area of rec diving. ;-)

My reading is that PADI OW/AOW train you for "no stop" diving and if at any point you have a mandatory deco stop ("yes stop"), you are diving beyond your training. I have a suspicion one might be able to come up with a profile that will have a deco ceiling (i.e. "yes stop") that, if you come up at safe ascent rate, will clear before you get there (i.e. "no stop"). If that's true, that'll be a no-stop dive, no deco, mild or otherwise, and yet beyond OW training. That's the shady area. :wink:

So sound like I'm pretty sold on the Geo. I wish I could buy a Shearwater but I also need to buy a BC and regs. So here's another newbie question that I know has been debated. Which should I buy first, computer, BC or regs? I know which ones I want but can only afford to do one at a time. If I could buy one and then have to wait a few months, which should go first?
You do not need to buy Shearwater even if you are going to do Trimix dive!!
I have been using the same Uwatec Aladin Pro Nitrox since 1998 and last year added an Oceanic Veo180 as a back up. As far as I am concern, any computer selling less than US$200.00 will do the job just as good as anything selling several times more!!!
For tec dive I use two bottom timers + pre dive plan.
As for your last question: None of them are essential if you are going to be a vacational diver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom