First Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @BullDiver

Up to firmware version 1i, you would need a download cable, see Oceanic website for firmware update: Support » Software I would hope you would get a download cable with the computer. As per @dmaziuk, I would just replace the CR2430 battery and start fresh. Make sure you get the battery door tool with the computer, makes battery change a cinch. I would not worry about the pressure sensor. I assume you get a paper manual, it is available as pdf off the Oceanic website

My Geo2 is from 2011, 700 dives, 3rd battery, it's perfect. I believe the Geo2 replaced the Geo in 2009. Current Geo2 with download cable would run you $450, I would imagine you're paying way, way less?

Good diving,

Craig

The deal is $200 for the computer plus USB cord. I figured this was a pretty good deal but wasn't sure if it was too good where there must be something faulty with the computer. The seller is not offering returns which concerns me as well.

The deal is $200 for the computer plus USB cord. I figured this was a pretty good deal but wasn't sure if it was too good where there must be something faulty with the computer. The seller is not offering returns which concerns me as well.
I was thinking you would pay $200, maybe less. It's 8 years old. I wonder how many dives it has on it, how many batteries, was firmware ever upgraded, is it still being dived, if not when was it last used, why are they selling it. With no return, personally, I would pass. Good luck

Late to the party here but if you like the Oceanic computers consider the Aeris A300. The Aeris line has been discontinued and folded back to the mother company, Oceanic, but the A300 was basically a rebranded Oceanic VEO 3.0. As an orphan the remaining (New) units are being sold off dirt cheap for $200 via Amazon. Since Aeris was part of Oceanic and the computers came off the same assembly line (Palegic Pressure Systems) Oceanic still supports them and honors the warranty. I know this for a fact as I sent one back for DM friend down in Cozumel several months back due to a worn switch (600 dives), no questions or quibbling a new one showed up on my doorstep the following week.
Amazon.com: Aeris A300 Wrist Computer ~Includes now FREE the Digital online class to get the most out of your dive computer.: Sports & Outdoors

Late to the party here but if you like the Oceanic computers consider the Aeris A300. The Aeris line has been discontinued and folded back to the mother company, Oceanic, but the A300 was basically a rebranded Oceanic VEO 3.0. As an orphan the remaining (New) units are being sold off dirt cheap for $200 via Amazon. Since Aeris was part of Oceanic and the computers came off the same assembly line (Palegic Pressure Systems) Oceanic still supports them and honors the warranty. I know this for a fact as I sent one back for DM friend down in Cozumel several months back due to a worn switch (600 dives), no questions or quibbling a new one showed up on my doorstep the following week.
Amazon.com: Aeris A300 Wrist Computer ~Includes now FREE the Digital online class to get the most out of your dive computer.: Sports & Outdoors

The A300 is a bigger wrist computer, not watch size, same size as the Veos, my VT3...You would still need a download cable, at extra cost, if you want to download your dives. Perfectly fine computer. Oceanic has discontinued the Veo 1 and Veo 3, leaves only the Veo 2 in the lineup

LP has:
Zoop for $190.00
Mares Puck Pro for $170.00
Paying $200.00 for a 8 yrs old used is too much.

I may be wrong, but I think BSAC may offer only a simulated deco dive at the recreational level. It might be up to mentors to turn this into practically diving at a level of light deco. It has been difficult for me to understand prior posts on this topic. Let's hear from someone from BSAC and or CMAS, thanks

Hi Craig,

Yes you are right.

The BSAC Certification levels are 1. Ocean Diver, 2. Sports Diver, 3 Dive Leader, 4 Advanced Diver, 5 First Class Diver.

Using PADI as an example, their OW & AOW are equal to Ocean Diver. Rescue is considered equivalent to Sports diver. And Dive Leader is considered equivilant to Dive Master

As I found out when I crossed over to BSAC when I was at PADI Rescue, I had to get some additional training, because BSAC builds with each level, and so I had gaps.

On the Question of Deco:

At sports diver level you are taught how to plan for a deco dive, and how to carry out a deco dive, focusing on hitting correct ascent rates and being reaching stops at teh correct time. However. Your practical dive is a simulated deco dive Basically because until you've completed Sports diver you're still limited by your Ocean Diver Depth limits

Once qualifying then you'd get to actually carry out a Deco dive, in the same way as there are 3 depth progression dives to increase your depth Qualification

At Dive Leader there is a planned Deco dive as part of the qualifying experience dives (complete 5 divers from a choice of 7)

All of the the deco dives are on backgas.

There is a further separate course using different O2 mixes for Accelerated Decompression.

The Line between rec and tech isn't easy to define. I'm allowed (because of my post dive depth progression dives under supervision) to dive to 50m. The commercial agencies consider 40m to the the change over between rec and tec (as well as overheads)

I personally consider Twinsets to be technical, because of the additional skills and drills, others dive them as the norm and consider this rec

Anyhow I hope that sheds some light on yoru question

Safe Diving

Martin

My personal rule on fleebay is "no returns - no sale". You do pay premium for the "watch" size, but still: as @Centrals says Puck w/ cable is ~$200 new so that much for 8yo used device is not that great.

Unrelated to my original topic, but would like some experienced advice: Are demo regulators a good buy? They're from a certified dealer, about a year old, half the price as new, and includes servicing before shipment? Too good to be true or a good buy?

Unrelated to my original topic, but would like some experienced advice: Are demo regulators a good buy? They're from a certified dealer, about a year old, half the price as new, and includes servicing before shipment? Too good to be true or a good buy?

1. Depends on their condition, how "used" they are.

2. Is the original mfg. warranty still applicable to you and you will be considered as the "first" and "original" owner as if it were unused new?

3. Are they a capable trustworthy service center with good technicians?

1. Depends on their condition, how "used" they are.

2. Is the original mfg. warranty still applicable to you and you will be considered as the "first" and "original" owner as if it were unused new?

3. Are they a capable trustworthy service center with good technicians?

The original warranty will be applicable, I will be the "first" owner. They were used in the pool and the ocean. The dealer is "certified platinum"

Back
Top Bottom