3mm or 5mm wetsuit in Anilao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveloonie66

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
Next month I go to Anilao for 10 days of diving. My first time there. I am wondering if folks who have been there, think I need a 3mm or 5mm wetsuit? What did you wear? I'm torn...........

Wow, at that temperature I'm in a 1 mm. I'm headed to Anilao in December and will be taking my 1 mm, plus my dive skin and a sharkskin vest in case the multiple dives wear me down.

I take a 5mil on my tropical trips (Philippines, Borneo, Palau), then mid week I put on a vest and a hood. Multiple dive days always gives me the chills even in tropical waters. Heading back to the Philippines in April. :)

I think you can expect around 26C, as some previous posters wrote.

A lot of the dive sites are really close, and the sun is mostly shining. I dived there 2 years ago this time of the year in a rash guard... the more you give in to the temptation of thick neoprene, the more you will need it in the future.

Température today 25 tout 26 degrées. I have a 5mm and à vivre of 2mm + hood for third dive. You are swimming do slow and dive Time over 80 minutes mâles it mandatory for me

Comfort is definitely personal, but I'm with Freewillow. I always dive a 7mm in Anilao (Mar, Jun, Dec) and am sometimes still cold. Factors to consider - depending on who you are diving with

1. Long dives without much swimming (80 min + common unless your op has a time limit) and up to 4 dives a day

2. Many ops do 2 tank trips in the AM so you are sitting on the boat in your wetsuit for the SI which I find makes the next dive colder. Yes it might be sunny, but it can also be windy and wet neoprene still bleeds body heat. Some ops also do a 2 tank late afternoon + night dive.

3. Ops who care about night dives usually run epic night dives, which are also long and slow. I usually do daily night dives in Anilao and find my core temp is often lower after multiple dives on multiple days.

Whatever you decide on, I suggest you also bring a hood or hooded vest. Always better to have it and not use it than be cold and wish you had it. I usually find I am wearing at least 2mm more than male diving guests, but of course every body is different.

... the more you give in to the temptation of thick neoprene, the more you will need it in the future.

Yeah, it all started with a rash guard. Then a guy offered to sell me a 3 mm shorty. Before I knew it, I was using a 5 mm full suit every dive. Thick, luscious neoprene. Just the smell of it gave me a warm feeling. Soon, even 7 mm wasn't enough. That's when I turned to a drysuit. I had hit rock bottom. I'm in a program now. Been clean for months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom