Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if anyone aside from Paul can access the Black Box in the handset? I wonder if anyone aside from Shearwater can access the memory of the Shearwater attached, if any. I wonder these things because I don't know.

It would be helpful to know how many people were on the boat when Rob was on the surface.
The Coast Guard reports are public records.

St John were you suggesting a passenger manifest (if that's the correct term) of who was on the boat that day (vs a CG report on this accident) is publicly accessible in Coast Guard records? If so, is there an online database? As a non-boater I am not familiar with CG requirements or reporting.

I still think knowing how many people were on the boat would be helpful in terms of (1) understanding how many/few eyes were available to monitor Rob on the surface while Peter Sotis was being attended to and (2) understanding whether, for example, there was any possibility of someone immediately diving in (versus snorkelling as reported in the Brian Stewart interview) to search for Rob after he disappeared from the surface - even if the diver(s) could not descend to 220 ft.

There were 2 posts upthread stating Claudia Sotis was on board, but her name never came up in the media reports or interviews. Whether there were any crew members on board has also not come up in the media reports.

...understanding whether, for example, there was any possibility of someone immediately diving in (versus snorkelling as reported in the Brian Stewart interview) to search for Rob after he disappeared from the surface - even if the diver(s) could not descend to 220 ft.

Sending anot her diver down in that case would be of limited value at best and more likely have a negative effect overall. If he was floating neutral just under the surface, a snorkeler would have spotted him. If he was even slightly negative, he would be deep enough already that the dive would need sufficient planning to be impractical, plus would take another support person off the boat.

A good man, new to CCR, making challenging dives under supervision of his CCR instructor, died.

Lessons learned in this thread, cautions raised, awareness increased.

The question, of course, is "Why?"

The mods, under Net Doc's direction, have been very moderate in their supervision of this important thread.

I wonder if anyone aside from Paul can access the Black Box in the handset? I wonder if anyone aside from Shearwater can access the memory of the Shearwater attached, if any. I wonder these things because I don't know.

The black box is contained in the external battery box, I understand that a select number of Shearwater service centers can access the black box data.

That is for the Shearwater, what about the Dream?

St John were you suggesting a passenger manifest (if that's the correct term) of who was on the boat that day (vs a CG report on this accident) is publicly accessible in Coast Guard records? If so, is there an online database? As a non-boater I am not familiar with CG requirements or reporting.

There are minimum crew requirements, most skippers log this information in their (usually paper) logbook to show they are complying with their certificate of inspection and crewing obligations. Even if it were recorded on a laptop (which is rare) the CG does not publish log books at all and certainly not online.

Passenger manifests are not required for the trip as described and even if they were completed (for an international voyage for example) they are done on paper.

Just wondering how this thread has gone from 100,000+ views to only 8,000?

When we moderated the thread, we created a new one and moved all the posts to it. The original thread view count was not carried over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom