Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What it won't give us is the amount of CO2 in the loop nor will it give us the pressures in any of his tanks. Remember, this was a work dive... they went to move the anchor. Consequently, we don't know just how hard they were working.
I thought the computer did monitor CO2 levels on a rebreather via a sensor (or two). Am I mistaken?

Too bad he didn't have one of the new AI shearwater computers which could have logged pressures. I don't think they make one with both Fischer port and AI though.

I thought the computer did monitor CO2 levels on a rebreather via a sensor (or two). Am I mistaken?
Most don't. In fact, I think only one rebreather provides for this. rEvo has a scrubber used monitor (temp sensors), but only in their high end units.

rEvo has a scrubber used monitor (temp sensors), but only in their high end units.

The rEvo RMS system tracks remaining scrubber time / cycle time and is reported via the Shearwater Controller to the diver in realtime.

The rEvo RMS system tracks remaining scrubber time / cycle time and is reported via the Shearwater Controller to the diver in realtime.
But it doesn't monitor CO2. It monitors temps at various points within the scrubber to give you an estimate of how much scrubber life is left. Sotis probably had one on his unit, but we have no idea if Stewart had one on his.

Most don't. In fact, I think only one rebreather provides for this. rEvo has a scrubber used monitor (temp sensors), but only in their high end units.

Hello.

To my knowledge the Inspiration and the Sentinel offer inspired CO2 monitoring via an infra red sensor as an option. "Open Safety" have been promising end tidal CO2 monitoring (which reflects CO2 levels in the divers body rather than simply in the inspired gas) in the Apocalypse for a decade but it has never materialised.

In relation to Jim's comment (no disrespect to the poster or unit intended whatsoever) it is probably more accurate to say that the RMS "estimates" rather than "tracks" scrubber and cycle time. Having said that, in some preliminary testing we have found it to be fairly accurate with its predictions when operated in typical conditions of exercise and CO2 load. At the end of the day though Netdoc is right; it is not a CO2 detector per se.

Simon M

it is probably more accurate to say that the RMS "estimates" rather than "tracks" scrubber and cycle time.

Roger that, I agree your wording is more accurate. Thanks for weighing in Simon!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom