Anyone have a dive shop or group going to Thailand in March with 2 spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are currently living the nomad life and will be in Thailand at the end of this month. We are totally flexible on dates and location, but would love to join a group going diving sometime soon. Maybe we'd have an easier time making friends with a group rather than showing up to a resort/liveaboard made up of couples vacationing.

If that doesn't work out can anyone suggest a location where we might find a friendly group of individual/couple travelers? Kind of like Cocoview? We have never dove in Asia or the South Pacific but have about 110 dives each in Hawaii and the Caribbean. We only need a private room with air conditioning and good rental gear. Sound like the diving is better on the Andamen side but really we are open.

Thanks!

In general on the boats you'll be easily able to make friends. I would say though don't book any of the top class boats, as they are more catering to couples than some of the other boats. But a boat like Oktavia, Andaman Tritan, and quite a few others would be very suitable.

For me the best way to find people to dive with is just going with different companies and diving, talking to the people on the boats. Personally I would stay away from the mainland and dive the Islands instead. If you're diving Thailand South Andaman is definitively the best place to dive. I wouldnt bother with the Similan Islands as its totally destroyed, Surin is good but its very far to get there. Best places of dive are Phuket, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta, Koh Lipe (my personal favorite being Lipe, for me the best island in Thailand).

Places you want to dive, in no particular order:
Hin Daeng (For me the best dive in Thailand)
Hin Muang
Phuket Shark Point
Bida Nok
8 Mile Rock
Stonehenge
King Cruiser
Koh Ha (Chimney and Cathedral)

There are many more places, these are just some of the top of my head, hope it helped!

This is the first time I'm hearing about Koh Lipe - which makes me super interested because we don't like the "partying" atmosphere. Do you have a suggestion for where to stay and what shop to dive with? Thanks!

This is the first time I'm hearing about Koh Lipe - which makes me super interested because we don't like the "partying" atmosphere. Do you have a suggestion for where to stay and what shop to dive with? Thanks!

Shop to dive with definitively Forra Diving, they are the only dive centre with very experienced instructors. Go to their shop on Sunrise beach and ask to dive with Mao, you wont be disappointed.

As for accommodation I can recommend something if you give me your price per day in baht, although this is a very low key island and if you want to have AC you will have to pay around 3000 per night.

Shop to dive with definitively Forra Diving, they are the only dive centre with very experienced instructors. Go to their shop on Sunrise beach and ask to dive with Mao, you wont be disappointed.

As for accommodation I can recommend something if you give me your price per day in baht, although this is a very low key island and if you want to have AC you will have to pay around 3000 per night.

Thanks! Our budget is 3000-4000 THB/night :)

Thanks! Our budget is 3000-4000 THB/night :)

So Sunrise beach is the best to stay on, I would look at either Mountain Resort, Castaway (not sure they have aircon but they have amazing bungalows) or Lipe Beach Resort.

Just go to any of the tourist spots and you will find dive centres, just go and talk to them and try a days diving, if everything is not to your liking move on to another DC.
The best by far diving Thailand has to offer is the Andaman Sea. Base yourself in Phuket, Koh Lanta or one of the other islands in that area and you will have plenty of options.

Thank you Angel Fish for your recommendations! Koh Lipe is a smaller Island, around this time of year though all Islands are quite busy, but Koh Lipe being a bit more unheard of is a more relaxing Island, with not as much of a party scene as for say Phi Phi or Koh Tao. Although, the dates you plan to arrive are coming out of the peak season. The dive sites mentioned by Angel Fish are some of the very top dive sites in the Andaman Sea and are accessible some from Koh Lanta and some from Koh Lipe. We also offer discounts on our accomodation the days you dive with us, if you would like some more information please feel free to email us at antoinepantelic@forradiving.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom