Cozumel camera users ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
... still and video alike, especially GoPro'ers ...

There have been several posts of lost and found cameras over the past few months. Here's a tip on how to recover your camera should you lose it and someone finds it.

Make a sheet with all your information on it: name, address, phone number(s), hotel you stay at, dates you are on the island, etc.

I even make a "day chart" and check off each day; "Day 1: May 11, 2017" and so on, so in case my memory cards get mixed up, it's easier to organize my files by days shot.

and then every morning before heading out, take a pic or short vid of that sheet. That way, if you camera is lost, hopefully whoever finds it will take a look at your memory card and be able to get your camera back to you ...

... this is actually something I got from our buddy ggunn a few years ago. His wife recovered her camera because of having this information.

This is a fabulous idea. I lost my camera last October on Tormentos and never recovered it. I've now put this information on all my devices and, should I ever be so misfortunate to lose another anywhere, not just diving, I have some hope of getting it back. Put a Word or text document with your contact info on the top of the file folders, not buried in the DCIM folder where the photos are. An obvious title like "owner contact info" containing a simple email address is enough. Again, great idea.

... still and video alike, especially GoPro'ers ...

There have been several posts of lost and found cameras over the past few months. Here's a tip on how to recover your camera should you lose it and someone finds it.

Make a sheet with all your information on it: name, address, phone number(s), hotel you stay at, dates you are on the island, etc.

I even make a "day chart" and check off each day; "Day 1: May 11, 2017" and so on, so in case my memory cards get mixed up, it's easier to organize my files by days shot.

and then every morning before heading out, take a pic or short vid of that sheet. That way, if you camera is lost, hopefully whoever finds it will take a look at your memory card and be able to get your camera back to you ...

... this is actually something I got from our buddy ggunn a few years ago. His wife recovered her camera because of having this information.

That only works if the person finding your camera is interested in returning it.

With my Canon G7X and Nikon D7100, I can lock the photo of my personal information (as described above) so it is not erased when I download the photos & erase the SD card. That eliminates the need for me to remember to take a picture of the contact data. I do not know if all cameras can lock the photo, but I would assume most of them would. I like to think most folks would make an attempt to return a lost camera, but then again, I am an optimistic old geezer from an old school upbringing.

That only works if the person finding your camera is interested in returning it.
I'd like to think that most people would indeed make the effort if there were an easy way to locate the owner. I know I would, and I know the guy who found ours a few years ago did.

I'd like to think the majority of the dive community would take more pleasure in returning a camera or video rig to its rightful owner than "scoring" a free rig. That is why I do the same... Take a pic of my contact info, a pic of the dive op I am diving with and a pic of hotel or resort name in which I am staying. Other than that, what else can ya do?

I think we've all been on boats and experienced a few other divers who you can guess if they found a camera or video rig on the bottom they'd (unfortunately) consider it theirs unless a DM or the captain steps in and insists on taking a look at what has been recorded. Quality dive ops with quality DM's and Captains would insist that anyone who found a rig on the bottom share a look with them for what's in the memory. If there is no identifying info in the memory, they also hand it back and basically say do what ya will with it. I will say, there have been some amazing stories of lost equipment that has found its way back to the owner.

With my Canon G7X and Nikon D7100, I can lock the photo of my personal information (as described above) so it is not erased when I download the photos & erase the SD card. That eliminates the need for me to remember to take a picture of the contact data. I do not know if all cameras can lock the photo, but I would assume most of them would. I like to think most folks would make an attempt to return a lost camera, but then again, I am an optimistic old geezer from an old school upbringing.
I do that on all of my cards, so I can delete everything other than my name & info page. If I move a card to a different camera and it doesn't show, I just add it from that camera. Cameras can get lost anywhere, land or sea.

Reformatting will remove it of course, so be sure to replace it if you do.

I am careful to use my wrist straps, etc. and have never lost one anywhere, but there is always the first time. My granddaughter's passport and iphone were expensive learning experiences.

Most advanced still cameras can put your basic info in the Authors or Copyright info fields of the EXIF which means a finder has some way of identifying an owner. I put my Email address in one of those fields & it's short enough to also be used as the Volume Label of each memory card. I don't know if GoPro's have that option but it's possible they do. Check the owners manual for your camera, register it with the manufacturer & do all the other steps mentioned & you stand a much better chance of seeing it again should you loose it. I also printed off a self adhering label with my name & address etc & attached it inside my housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom