Bahamas Aggressor Review from February 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I just returned from a week on the Bahamas Aggressor and wanted to share our very positive thoughts on the crew and boat.

Boat: Yes, this is one of the older (if not the oldest?) boat in the Aggressor fleet, but our trip reflected no issues whatsoever. It was clean, comfortable, and suited our needs perfectly. I did read a negative review from a few years ago when it was Carib Dancer and first began the itinerary in the Bahamas, but we did not encounter any problems. The diving deck is spacious, and the cabins are small but I believe standard for many of these boats, and we felt it was comfortable and spacious enough. We are not large or tall, and the double bottom bed was more than adequate for the two of us. The upper twin was a good spot for storing checked luggage and other items, plus there are two very deep drawers underneath the bottom bed, and a large area next to the drawers for stowing smaller bags/carry ons. In addition, there is a small closet for hanging some clothes. In our cabin, there was a small counter between the sink and bed where we kept our toiletries. What more do you need? It's a liveaboard, no need for anything fancier than shorts or sweatpants and hoodie between dives :)

A note on where to keep smaller items - I have found a wonderful use for a shoe caddy! Hang it on the door to your cabin or head, and you can stay organized while keeping all your smaller items in one neat place. I keep everything from sunscreen to sunglasses to teabags to first aid items and anything else you can think of in these cubbies. I picked up this tip from a cruising forum and it is perfect on a liveaboard :)

Food: We found Chef Rob's cooking to be excellent. I've heard and read many rave reviews of Jerry's cooking on the Belize IV (Sun Dancer II), and while we thought the food was good (we were on that boat in October), we both felt Rob's dishes to be even more superb, but of course food is very subjective! In any event, I don't think anyone would be disappointed in Rob's dishes.

Crew: Captain Dennis was very welcoming, accommodating and both friendly and interactive with the guests. He was knowledgeable and personable. Great guy! The crew likewise were outstanding - my favorites were Dave, engineer and divemaster, and Gabi, divemaster, videographer.

Diving: I ranked the diving from so-so on a few sites to very good on some others. Due to high winds from the east, we started the trip diving the west side of Eleuthra. We saw balloon puffer fish, trunk fish, lots of reef shark, turtles, cow fish, and so many more. I should say that b/c the water was fairly cold (at least to us spoiled divers who tend to dive mostly in 80f and warmer waters) at an average 74-75f, we did not do all the dives and in fact did not go on any night dives. I did hear from other guests that the night dives were very good.

All in all, it was a most excellent trip, so good in fact that we are returning in early October (for some warmer waters!).
P.S. Nothing to do with the diving, but a great aspect to this itinerary is clearing customs in Nassau and not the U.S. Loved that. So easy. They take a photo of your luggage when you check in, and when you go through customs they show you a photo of your luggage on the monitor and ask if it is yours. Yes, thank you! And that's it, you are done and when you get to Atlanta or wherever your U.S. connection is, no customs, no TSA line, it's easy breezy.

I wish we'd started doing liveaboards a long time ago, I am hooked! This next trip will be our fourth, with hopefully many more to come :) Happy diving everyone!

Janie

Thanks for the report and tip about the shoe rack. Good thinking.

I love liveaboards too. Experiences all day every day rather than just when out at the dive site. Some pretty amazing stuff. I do all my diving first, then the rest of the trip, so I don't miss anything. Only downside is it's 1:1 person to cost ratio instead of hotel room where it is 1:whole party. Not insignificant cost diff but still great.

Try some liveaboards in the Pacific. Fiji might be easiest to get to since it is single flight, albeit 11 hour, from LA.

Glad to see your review. In discussions of Bahamas diving, I usually see Blackbeards & Juliet as budget options pitted against AquaCat as upscale with more dives offered that week, but the Bahamas Aggressor looks to offer a fine sweet spot, and part of the year an itinerary that includes Tiger Beach (which the Captain of our dive boat on my California trip did and spoke highly of).

Richard.

Glad to see your review. In discussions of Bahamas diving, I usually see Blackbeards & Juliet as budget options pitted against AquaCat as upscale with more dives offered that week, but the Bahamas Aggressor looks to offer a fine sweet spot, and part of the year an itinerary that includes Tiger Beach (which the Captain of our dive boat on my California trip did and spoke highly of).

Richard.[/QUOTE
Hi Richard - yes, we looked at Tiger Beach itinerary, but I believe they only do that May-August, and our schedules didn't work during that time, so we're doing the Exumas again in early October this I know it won't be as warm as Belize, but should be warmer than our trip this Feb.

I'd love to do some of the liveaboards in Fiji, Palau, etc., but those are much more expensive, especially for the airfare. So for now, Bahamas is fine, and we'll probably go back to Belize too. Another option is the Guanacaste (Bat Islands) off Costa Rica. I think it's around $2895pp, and airfare not too bad.

I know plenty of divers who like land-based so they can do other activities, and don't want to dive-dive-dive but I love liveaboards. I just love being on a boat.

If you do Tiger Beach, please post a review, I'd like to hear your experience.

Thanks for the review Janie. It's nice to get an updated review of this boat since the original reviews from several years ago didn't speak well of it. I was hoping they would get some of the kinks worked out. I've contemplated this trip myself. Departing from Nassau would be a big cost savings over most of the Caribbean liveaboards and so easy for us to get to.

Just passed the shoe caddy idea on to the wife! We are headed to Belize III in June and will definitely take that advice. Brilliant really!!!

Back
Top Bottom