What do you use to stop your mask from fogging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I'll be different. I like the commercial product '500psi'. Apply before first dive and I'm good all day.

I cheat, I put a little water in the bottom of the mask the minute it starts to fog, then I use it like windshield wipers (lower head to remove fog)

I usually start with spit/shampoo/or whatever the boat has on it.

I've tried several different anti-fogging products but my spit works better than any of them for me

Baby shampoo. Put a couple drops on the inside lens, smear evenly over the lens with finger tip, rinse it with water without touching the lens with your finger to leave a thin coat of the shampoo by just simply scooping the water with your mask and let the water sloshing in the mask for a second, then drain the water out of the mask before donning the mask.

Another trick to keep the mask from fogging is to stay calm during the whole dive and breath out through your mouth, not through your nose, which will bring warm steamy air into the mask, which will eventually washing off the shampoo film & fogging up your mask. Only breathe out through your mask if you want to drain water out of your mask due to leak (loose strap?). The key is to keep the mask dry for the whole diving. So, this technique will the keep the mask from fogging without antifog :)

Last edited:
Brand new mask: washing liquid couple of times.
Mask: Biodegradable ie my own saliva. I do wash the inside of the mask with soapy water from time to time.
The skirt: Must be washed with soap if it has been used for several dives.

Be careful with type of soapy water you use. As long as such soapy water would not hurt your eyes, that would be fine. That's why I use baby shampoo.

I should had added "and rinse thoroughly afterward".
Soapy water is for general cleansing of the mask and has nothing to do with "fogging" prevention.

scrube with non gel style toothpaste is a must. And before each dive, I also use Sea Gold gel. Spit never works for me. I haven't tried baby shampoo on mask, but they work great on ski goggle. If I remember, I will try shampoo on next dive

scrube with non gel style toothpaste is a must. And before each dive, I also use Sea Gold gel. Spit never works for me. I haven't tried baby shampoo on mask, but they work great on ski goggle. If I remember, I will try shampoo on next dive

Pat yourself on the back.. You're about to save at least $5 a fluid oz. :wink:

I haven't tried baby shampoo on mask, but they work great on ski goggle

Why don't you just get some goggles with air vents :wink:Seriously though, how do you wash the baby shampoo off & dry them? FWIW, my Oakleys rarely fog up, but if they do I just pull them a little off my face to let the cold air to them. Mind you, in good conditions I prefer my polarized wrap-arounds ... :cool: brings tears to the eyes when bombing it down though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom