Has anyone worked in Saipan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I'm looking at taking a DM job in Saipan, but I don't have a lot of savings at the moment. I want to make sure before I relocate that I'll be able to get by on the pay. I can't find too much useful stuff about the cost of living, so if anybody has any experience living and working in the area I'd really appreciate your input! I don't want to show up and have to bail after a month or two because I can't make ends meet, but I obviously don't wanna pass on a DM job offer since it seems they're hard to come by, especially for someone with as little experience as I have. (This would be my first actual DM job.) The company has asked me how much I "expect" to make, so if anybody can give me a little insight into realistic wage that would allow me to feed & shelter myself I'd really appreciate it! Specifically I'd really like to know the following:
  • How much can I expect to pay for rent & utilities? I'm happy with a room in a basic sharehouse.
  • Is it feasible to get around without a vehicle?
  • What's a standard/average pay rate for a divemaster?
Thanks!

$500-$1300 is the typical range for an apartment. Can't help you with sharing an apartment, but I'm sure that's available. East side is a bit cheaper, but you'll definitely need a car.

I don't know which shop you plan to work for... based out of Garapan? If you live near the shop in Garapan, you can probably get by without a car. Plenty of markets, shops, restaurants, etc in that immediate area. If you live anywhere else, you'll want some form of transportation beyond a bike. The island is just one big hill with a flat area on the coast. There is no public transportation, per se.

Sorry, I can't help you with DM pay in Saipan.

$500-$1300 is the typical range for an apartment. Can't help you with sharing an apartment, but I'm sure that's available. East side is a bit cheaper, but you'll definitely need a car.

I don't know which shop you plan to work for... based out of Garapan? If you live near the shop in Garapan, you can probably get by without a car. Plenty of markets, shops, restaurants, etc in that immediate area. If you live anywhere else, you'll want some form of transportation beyond a bike. The island is just one big hill with a flat area on the coast. There is no public transportation, per se.

Sorry, I can't help you with DM pay in Saipan.

Thanks for the info! Looks like it's gonna be hard to get by on what they're offering :(

Back
Top Bottom